Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to feed GSD Puppy..

Options
  • 31-07-2010 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Some of ye might remember me from posting about a Blue coat GSD Puppy i have.

Well she has been on Pegidree puppy since she was on solids and is now on the Pedigree Complete Junior Maxi but i am looking at changing her onto a different food. I had gotten two bags of the above off zooplus (haven't seen it in Petmania or the likes over here) and am on the last bag now so was thinking about gradually changing her over to something else. Has anyone any suggestions on what to feed her? Whats good? What doesn't have over the limit protein and so on..

Thanks in advance

Eemia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pedigree wouldnt be the best at all so you are right to change her off it.

What is your monthly budget and we can suggest something. Theres no point suggesting a food that costs 50euro a bag if 30 or so is your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My friend feeds her Golden retrievers on redmils leader, they're thriving on it. She did say that the breeder recommended feeding a mix of puppy and adult food, as the puppy food alone can be too much for a fast growing pup.
    Think she gets it for about €35 a bag(not sure if its 12 or 15kgs), but it lasts her about 2-3weeks for 2 dogs.
    I feed Royal Canin and a 4kg bag is about €22(depends where I get it) ad lasts me about 2-3 weeks for 2 dogs. But they are smaller dogs.
    There's lots of good foods out there, as andreac said give an idea of price and people will recommend foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

As Andrea says it depends on your budget.Leader is good but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Royal Canin do breed specific foods. They have GSD junior. Its expensive but really good.
    Kasco (AFAIK) is a cheaper brand of food made by the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Hi there,

We used a large breed puppy mix that also had glucosamine and condrotine sulphate. The vet recommended the glucosamine and condrotine to help him lay down strong joints. We kept him on this until he was one year and then moved over to a standard feed, but we still supplement him with glucosamine.

We also give him sardines once a week and lots of chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Hey everyone thanks for the replies.

On the Royal Canin, i had yorkies on that over a yr and tbh i didn't see much of a difference from cheaper brand foods, coat was slightly shineyer but not much so makes me think why pay the money for it tbh..

Anyways am paying/was paying 25pounds a bag lasting 3-4weeks. So around that price again 30e ish?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

Eemia wrote: »
    Hey everyone thanks for the replies.

On the Royal Canin, i had yorkies on that over a yr and tbh i didn't see much of a difference from cheaper brand foods, coat was slightly shineyer but not much so makes me think why pay the money for it tbh..

Anyways am paying/was paying 25pounds a bag lasting 3-4weeks. So around that price again 30e ish?

Thanks!

I have my 8 month old rottie on Gains big dog puppy food (andrea actually suggested it to me ) and she is thriving on it,she has a beautiful shiney coat,I get it in petmania and it is only 23.99 for a 12kg which lasts me nearly a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yelonka

Our 9 month old GSD is on Orijen Large Breed puppy. It has proven to be very good. It is our 3rd food brand and we'll stick with it. It costs us about 60e/month. He's coat is shiny, bones are strong and he's in a good health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Pet Pro Plan is also a fine choice for pups. Again its expensive but lots of exercise as its quite rich.

Hey everyone thanks again for the replies. Well after much thought i have decided to put her onto the Royal Canin Maxi Junior. Its 68e for a 15kg bag in Pet Mania but can get 30kgs for 93.70 on Zooplus so going to go there.

Thanks again to everyone that replied, much appreciated!!

Eemia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Hey everyone thanks again for the replies. Well after much thought i have decided to put her onto the Royal Canin Maxi Junior. Its 68e for a 15kg bag in Pet Mania but can get 30kgs for 93.70 on Zooplus so going to go there.

Eemia

please tell me your ordering from the uk one and not the irish one? there is a decent price difference

TechnoPool wrote: »
    please tell me your ordering from the uk one and not the irish one? there is a decent price difference

Oh god yes! The .ie site is practically the same price as Pet Mania, its crazy! I'd have another 2 bags of food for the money you are saving like!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Oh god yes! The .ie site is practically the same price as Pet Mania, its crazy! I'd have another 2 bags of food for the money you are saving like!! :eek::eek:

phew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Eemia

If you haven't ordered already I'd recommend buying a small bag first so you're not left with a ton of food if it doesn't agree with the pup. Our guy was on maxi jnr and he was always getting the runs also he's had problems with his hind legs (he's going to ucd tomorrow) and I partly blame the high protein content of the RC - 32%(!). Our guy is on Burns now - much better than RC form him - no runs, no smelly farts/anal glands, much calmer and a glossy coat.

Advertisement