Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation

Options
  • 31-07-2010 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

I am finding all of the advice here very useful and encouraging and sometimes funny too !

I have not drank for almost three weeks...I wasnt having major problems while drinking but the hangovers were getting worse and worse. I plan to not drink for another two weeks and then to try and drink moderately. Something like no more than three drinks twice per week. Is anyone else doing this and how is it going?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

This is a really good thread

Its pointless to give something up for a while, then go back on it excessively

The reason for bad hangovers is no moderation! too much booze and no water in between.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 grace201080

Hi ,

Yes I think moderation is another way of drinking in a way that isnt damaging. I also think it would give me more confidence if I felt I could control it rather than avoid it completely. Both require strength and will-power and I know moderation is not for everyone but this is what I am trying...wish me luck !:)

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

I'd be skeptical of the idea that people could suddenly attain the ability to moderate their drinking in the long term--I think it underestimates the power of alcohol, even if you don't have serious problems.

My opinion, but I'm open-minded about it so by all means state your case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

I tried it ....many times.....it never worked for me and I found I was drinking twice as much when I went back..

But, if it works for you then give it a try.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

I think it also depends on the situations you put yourself in. If you go out with friends who are going out to get drunk it will be much harder to stick to just the three drinks than if you were to watch a film in a friends house with a few beers.

The problem is having the power to stop at just three drinks. Personally I think I would find myself still relatively sober at that stage and so if I was out in a pub or a club would still have the same 'all or nothing' battle by midnight, but because I would be slightly drunk and had already started I would probably give in and have more.

But obviously its a good thing if you can do it. Better than abstaining in the long run, but harder, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Usually, people pre drink before going to a club, so if you avoid meeting for the pre drinking, them it would be much easier to quick to tired drinks once inside, partly because everyone won't be buying drink, and partly because it'll be about 6 quid for a pint. . . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Have a look at this site
    www.moderation.org

Thanks Pete,:) I just logged on to the moderation site. Its looks really good. Do you use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think its in irish peoples culture not to drink in moderation. i myself have tried and failed at it many times. i have great intentions but by the 3rd drink im saying the usual "you only live once, you should enjoy yourself etc" and ten drinks later im drunk. its very hard and i think its kind of like a relationship break up - to get over it you need to go cold turkey, no contact whatsoever, you cant be "friends"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Thanks Pete,:) I just logged on to the moderation site. Its looks really good. Do you use it?

Yeah, starting to slowly but surely. I first of all signed up to the email list. It's best to set up a new gmail account for it as it gets tons of threads per day. I've find it helpful to spend even 15-30 minutes a day browsing the threads. People share various tools/methods they employ to moderate.

The program works by completing a 30 day period of complete abstinence before following what's known as a BTB approach. Basically this means having 4 alcohol free days per week and limited amounts the other days. There is a link to a good online drinks counter called abstar.

There's a great book called responsible drinking which is based upon the Mm approach

A lot of the users also have weekly/fortnightly live meeetings which I think would be great. Just to support/encourage each other in learning to moderate. I posted a thread a while back about setting up such a meeting in dublin but got little interest. You should explore the site anyway.

Like other posters have said moderation may not work for everyone. Hope it will work for me!

• Advertisement

Hi, I signed up yesterday and as you said got a ton of emails from MM. Most of it was very useful. I have not drank for 25 days so nearly there on the 30 day target. I had read about this stategy somewhere else. I had a look at some of the online tools aswell and thought some might be useful too. I hope this approach works for me too ! I just saw on the MM website that there is a MM group in Cork.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GazCork

Hi all, I have found MM to be an excellent support in learning to moderate, I found the group around 8 years ago and have been moderating quite happily with only a few minor blips along the way for some years now. I am starting to facilitate meetings here in Ireland with the first one due to take place in Limerick on Dec 15th (Venue tbc).

PM me if you want to be kept up to date

Gaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

great thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

GazCork wrote: »
    Hi all, I have found MM to be an excellent support in learning to moderate, I found the group around 8 years ago and have been moderating quite happily with only a few minor blips along the way for some years now. I am starting to facilitate meetings here in Ireland with the first one due to take place in Limerick on Dec 15th (Venue tbc).

PM me if you want to be kept up to date

Gaz

you should post the details and links up when you have them

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fea

Hi all,

I am finding all of the advice here very useful and encouraging and sometimes funny too !

I have not drank for almost three weeks...I wasnt having major problems while drinking but the hangovers were getting worse and worse. I plan to not drink for another two weeks and then to try and drink moderately. Something like no more than three drinks twice per week. Is anyone else doing this and how is it going?

Thanks.

Hi
    I just read your thread. I am in the same position too. The hangovers are really wearing me down. I just want to take a break from alcohol but each time I try I give in.

How are you getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 twotimes

Hi,

The moderation web site says that there is a new moderation.org meeting set up in Cork:

See http://www.moderation.org/natlf2f.shtml#Ireland

But I emailed the name listed and have not a received a reply. Does anyone here know of such a meeting?

Best,
    Ted

Advertisement