Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Associate Engineer Interview

Options
  • 30-07-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I got word yesterday form Engineers Ireland that my application for Associate Engineer has been apporved and I will have to have a professional interview some time in Autumn.

Has anybody had this interview and what can I expect to be asked?

I'd imagine it would be very similar to the interview for Chartered Engineer so any pointers from that may be helpful.

Thanks

Richie

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

I've done the CEng interview with them. They're very helpful and its worth remembering that they actually want you to pass! Interview is nice and relaxed, I would however point out that you should not go over time, if it says talk for 10mins then talk for 10 mins...not 11! :) Also, have a deep understanding of what you're talking about, afterall thats why youre there, having said that if you dont know something then dont be afraid to say so. That answer would be more respected than bullsh*t. Anyway, hope that helps and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 richiemcc

@ FesterBeatty,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll probably write out a 10 minute speach and learn ot off-by-heart.

Do they only question you on your experience or can they ask general questions about Engineering?

Richie

Hey,

They asked me a few general questions about engineering which still related to our conversation at the time. For example I was talking about the maximum allowable foundation settlement on a particular project - they said this seemed very strict, asked why it was so strict, then asked what sort of settlements I would generally consider as being acceptable. There were similar queries with regard to beam deflections etc. Yeah, best bet is to write out a speech and be prepared. But again, dont worry - they're not there to catch you out. They just want to be sure that you're ready for the title you've applied for.

Oh...and by the way - you should read the Engineers Ireland code of ethics before you go in. They might have a general query in relation to that - but most of its common sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

richiemcc wrote: »
    @ FesterBeatty,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll probably write out a 10 minute speach and learn ot off-by-heart.

Do they only question you on your experience or can they ask general questions about Engineering?

Richie

Dont know if its the same as Associate Eng but in the CEng interview you can bring in notes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 richiemcc

Thanks so much for all the tips.

Interview not until Nov (at the earliest) so at least I've plenty of time to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Assuming the Associate Engineer interview is the same as the CEng interview, bring photos and sketches! I brought in 10 or so images of different aspects of projects I was talking through, and it really helped me get my points across. It also meant I had something to do with my hands because I was pretty nervous!

Like Fester said - they won't go out of their way to fail you. They already accepted your application so you're halfway there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 monaliza smile

Hi,
    I also got a leeter from Engineers Ireland that I should send them 2500 words summary of career details with a summary of my graduation project, but my problem now that I only could write 660 words as a summary of my career. Do you think that will affect the application.my engineering experience is 3 years only with approximately a routine working. pls help.
    thx
    Heba

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi,
    I also got a leeter from Engineers Ireland that I should send them 2500 words summary of career details with a summary of my graduation project, but my problem now that I only could write 660 words as a summary of my career. Do you think that will affect the application.my engineering experience is 3 years only with approximately a routine working. pls help.
    thx
    Heba

What are the requirements for Associate Engineer? Is it a higher ranking than CEng? If so then you'll need more than 3 years experience......

no the AEng is lower than CEng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

What exactly does an associate engineer entail/entitle you to?

As an Associate Engineer you will:
    • Exercise independent technical judgement at an appropriate level;
    • Assume responsibility, as an individual or as a member of a team, for the management
    of resources and/or guidance of technical staff;
    • Design, develop, manufacture, commission, operate and maintain products,
    equipment, processes and services;
    • Actively participate in financial, statutory and commercial considerations and in
    the creation of cost effective systems and procedures;
    • Utilise effective communication skills and actively participate in human and industrial relations;
    • Make a personal commitment to live by the appropriate code of professional conduct which recognises
    obligations to society, the profession and the environment.

If you are successful you will be entitled to style yourself as an Associate Engineer and use the
    designatory letters AEng AMIEI after your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dog23

Hi
    I came accoss your entry and wondered if you could help me, I m in the process of constructing my submission for title of Associate Engineer through experiential learning, my mentor is offering very little help on how it should be constructed of layed out. I dont know anybody who has gone this route and wondered if there any advise you can offer

Advertisement