Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cata Question.

Options
  • 30-07-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if Blizz are gonna raise the amount of toons allowed on a server? The reason i ask is because i have 10 toons on my server (reason i say my server is because i only play on the one). And with the worgan being added to the mix, id like to think ill be able to make one without having to delete a toon ive spent some time lvling:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Just wondering if anyone knows if Blizz are gonna raise the amount of toons allowed on a server? The reason i ask is because i have 10 toons on my server (reason i say my server is because i only play on the one). And with the worgan being added to the mix, id like to think ill be able to make one without having to delete a toon ive spent some time lvling:confused:

There is also the option of Race change ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I was wondering this too as I'll have 10 x 80's on one server come Cata and I like my server, don't want to have to level a toon on another server just to experience the new races :/

Reckon I'd race change a couple though anyway for sure, especially the camp belf race straight away if Goblins can be Paladins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

They have already announced that they will be adding character slots but they will be charging for each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

WellyJ wrote: »
    They have already announced that they will be adding character slots but they will be charging for each one.

What???? Are you serious. Blizz will be charging to use your heartstone next.

Doesn't really apply to me, as I have only 2 lvl 80's and the rest are quite low. However my hubby has actually deleted 80's just so he could try a new race/character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Doesn't really apply to me, as I have only 2 lvl 80's and the rest are quite low. However my hubby has actually deleted 80's just so he could try a new race/character.

tbh, its kinda fair as it does require more use of the server.

In FFXI, every character after your first required a €2/3 addition to your fee. This was in a game were a character had a small limit on what it could put on the auction house. Additional characters was essential to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

robbing kunts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i dont think there are plans to charge for using the hearthstone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

DRakE wrote: »
    i dont think there are plans to charge for using the hearthstone

No, but replacing your Hearthstone costs $5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    Nah, that will be €5 +VAT thank you very much :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Kiith wrote: »
    currently only rumoured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

I don't think charging people that are obviously very dedicated to the game, i.e. Someone with a pack of 80's is good. We pay our subscription, that should be enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I don't think charging people that are obviously very dedicated to the game, i.e. Someone with a pack of 80's is good. We pay our subscription, that should be enough.
    Actually you got it backwards; you are the worst type of player for Blizzard; the best are "casuals" (insert definition here):

1) You play a lot; this means you take up bandwith and server time where as a casual player pays the same but use the resources far far less
    2) You play a lot so you burn through content quickly and want more to play (taking up developer time and cycles) where as a casual can play for years with out experiencing it all
    3) You're also in the risk zone of burning out a lot faster then someone still raiding ICC (since you've done it all and seen it all)
    4) You're unlikely to need to buy things to make achievements such as pet gathering, mounts etc. as casual would be interested though

Also you need to keep that the future models is a lot more about micro transactions (see the in game pets, card games etc.) then about subscriptions fees. I would not be suprised if they will even start make the game free to play but lots of "shiny" things to buy (inc. 2x exp potions lasting for an hour etc.). Blizzard realized this a while ago and you will see far far more of this in the years to come (now I wonder if they will do the premium subscription ala EQ with special server, events, content etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I wouldn't mind too much if it's only €5 once off per slot but it'd be a bit ridiculous if it were per month or something like that :/

I suppose though there's no new classes, just 2 new races so all is not lost even if they don't bother doing anything at all. I could always just experience the race on another server, which I'll probably end up doing anyway due to the login queue's that will be experienced on Draenor once Cata hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Kinda pants tbh, charging you to play twice when an exspansion is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Haven't seen a blue post with them saying anything about charging for a new character slot. But to be honest 10 slots is by far enough. Only 10 classes in the game, If they do implement a new feature that adds 2 more slots for you then those people should pay if they want duplicate classes on the same server.

But if anyone has a blue post of them even hinting at this can you link it? Or is this usual rumor mill type stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Columc wrote: »
    Haven't seen a blue post with them saying anything about charging for a new character slot. But to be honest 10 slots is by far enough. Only 10 classes in the game, If they do implement a new feature that adds 2 more slots for you then those people should pay if they want duplicate classes on the same server.

But if anyone has a blue post of them even hinting at this can you link it? Or is this usual rumor mill type stuff?

People Already have to pay for the exspansion and pay a sub every month. Gold spammers create thousands of accounts to sell their ill gotten gains, with mulitple lvl 1 characters. Ppl create trial accounts every day without spending 1 cent.

Fact is ive bought WoW + 2 exspansions, and ill be buying a third, all the while paying a sub every month. And if Blizzard or people think me having 1 extra char slot is over the top and placing undue pressure on a server, they are off their heads. I can make 50 (or there abouts) chars across diff servers, but i choose not too, i like my server and dont see why i should be forced to delete a char ive spent time and money leveling just because someone thinks 1 extra slot is being greedy or excessive.

If blizzard do decide they are going to want to squeeze a couple of euro out of me for 1/2 char slots, there is a good chance they will lose a paying customer. Ive no problem paying for exspansions or my sub, but as far as im concerned, the fact i do gives me a right to expect a certain level of customer sadisfaction without being totally unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

People Already have to pay for the exspansion and pay a sub every month. Gold spammers create thousands of accounts to sell their ill gotten gains, with mulitple lvl 1 characters. Ppl create trial accounts every day without spending 1 cent.

Fact is ive bought WoW + 2 exspansions, and ill be buying a third, all the while paying a sub every month. And if Blizzard or people think me having 1 extra char slot is over the top and placing undue pressure on a server, they are off their heads. I can make 50 (or there abouts) chars across diff servers, but i choose not too, i like my server and dont see why i should be forced to delete a char ive spent time and money leveling just because someone thinks 1 extra slot is being greedy or excessive.

If blizzard do decide they are going to want to squeeze a couple of euro out of me for 1/2 char slots, there is a good chance they will lose a paying customer. Ive no problem paying for exspansions or my sub, but as far as im concerned, the fact i do gives me a right to expect a certain level of customer sadisfaction without being totally unreasonable.

For any expansion paying for it is always guaranteed. This has been the case with pretty much every game expansion that comes out not just for mmos. Developers are spent time coding, designing, testing the environment and they should get rewarded for this. WoW is a MMO it requires you to log into and play, this is why the subs are there it costs a lot of money to purchase servers, man a team to take care of them and then the staffing operation for the Customer Support. Blizzard provides their customers with all the needed benefits of the game, they don't unbalance the game in any way by providing an item market(bar the exception of non-combat items, which gives no advantage to players if they purchase it) Blizzard provided a service that lets you play all of their 10 classes on one server and have 55 different characters spread across all of their servers. I'm perfectly fine with that, I have a character space for every class. Why should blizzard pay out for extra server stress that probably only 10% of the population will actually use. But instead say if the people that really do want a extra slot pay a unlocking fee. I have played mmos that have extremely limited characters slots. One game their were 5 classes and only 2 spots.

However I still haven't seen a blue post or an official word from blizzard stating that they are 1) Defiantly increase the amount of characters on a server and 2)charging for that service. I would be a bit upset to see that blizzard would be asking to charge for the slots if they did. But not to much that will want me to stop playing a game.

At the end of the day though. Blizzard is a company, they want to make a profit. Over the years Blizzard have become known as t he company that does take their customers into consideration they take care of their products and want them to be perfect. However with the merger between Activision Blizzard you do see Blizzard being pressured by the high Business heads who want to increase blizzards profit margin. And with blizzard stating that they don't want to unbalance the game in any way by selling people items, they resort to other methods such as cosmetic features in the game(a pretty mount, funny companion pets)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The only thing I've heard about extra character slots was people thinking there would be more cause the beta has a more slots then live.

The Devs said thats due to the beta server being setup like that for testing purposes but its not the case on live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Geomatician

Yes there was a blue post about providing a service to pay for more character slots. However it wasnt the usual blue post it was a survey that a participant could fill out on official wow forums. One particular question was:

"If Blizzard were to implement a feature to purchase more characters slots, would you be interested"

:rolleyes:

Advertisement