Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for Post Grad

Options
  • 30-07-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is probably a question which has been asked many times, but I was hoping someone could give me some info. I just completed a four year degree, and want to pursue a Masters in the same University in September (I have been accepted and all that). I didn't get a grant for my undergrad as I was being supported by my parents. But what I am wondering is, as a 22 year old, is there anything I can do in terms of grants etc? The Masters I am doing is expensive (€6,500 fees, and then of course about €5,000 accommodation and all the living costs), and I don't want to subject my parents to helping me with these costs. As a 22 year old I no longer want to be dependent on my parents, but I also want to complete this Masters.

A number of my friends are doing Masters, and they are all receving grant payments to complete these. I don't honestly know if my parents can afford to put me through this course, and I am just confused as to what my options, if any, are?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd also like an answer to this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I don't fully know the answer to this for sure, but as far as I know you need to be 23 to apply for a grant on your own, independant of parents.
    I know its a tough situation but are you sure you cant get any part of the grant while being tested on your parents income? even if you had your fees paid that would be helpful?

On a sidenote however, there is a bit of confusion with grants and postgrads as there is a rule about having to be out of college 3 years before being able to get a grant for a postgrad..... nobody seems to know for sure about this though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,930 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You could probably apply for a grant based on your parents income

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

On a sidenote however, there is a bit of confusion with grants and postgrads as there is a rule about having to be out of college 3 years before being able to get a grant for a postgrad..... nobody seems to know for sure about this though unfortunately.
    Never heard of this but I'm pretty sure its not true. I received a grant for a postgraduate degree immediately after my undergraduate.

EDIT: See post here

If you are not living at home with your parents then you can be means tested on your own income once you provide a bill with your name and address on it.

If you wait till you re 23 to apply as a mature student and are still living at home with your parents then you will still be assessed on your parents income.

If your parents income is below €51,380 then you'd qualify for the fees at least. If this isn't the case you're best bet is to try and get a job, move out and apply next year under your own income. If you save up and/or get a loan you should be able to manage to get by for one year coupled with the grant.

No this is not true - the 3 year rule is whether you were being assessed based on your parents income or assessed independently.

Anyone can apply for a grant

Because the OP is only 22 he will have to apply for a grant based upon his parents income

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

FYI see this - looks like the OP would have to be assessed on his parents income

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/he_heg_scheme.pdf?language=EN
    "mature candidate" means a candidate who is at least 23 years of age on the 1st of January of the year of entry or re-entry to an approved course;

"independent mature candidate" means a mature candidate who was not ordinarily resident with his/her parents or legal guardian from 1 October, 2009;

"re-entering" means entering as a mature candidate following a break of at least three years, having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardian, and having previously attended a course approved for the purposes of the Higher Education Grants [HEG] Scheme or the Vocational Education Committees [VEC] Scholarship Scheme

Terry Pratchet

To the OP you should also contact your college to enquire about the student assistance fund

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement