Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf Guy Challenge - 30th October 2010

Options
  • 30-07-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Gaelforce Turf Guy Challenge
    Don't know if anyone knows anything else about this? Just saw the page is starting to be developed today. Any idea if it includes sea swimming or not? Wouldn't fancy that, but sounds like a bit of craic anyway!

(Hope I'm posting this in the correct forum else please move!)

"This event will be a mental and physical challenge but will also be lots of fun. The course will be approximately 10km long but will involve cold October water temperatures, energy sapping obstacles, terrifying cliff jumps and much, much more. We are currently building the web pages and information will be posted here soon. Entries will open at the beginning of August.

It is important to note that this event is not just for boys! You need no special skills to compete in this challenge, just mental strength and fitness. As with all of our challenges it is open to the hard core elite and the gym dodgers alike!

You had better start toughening up!!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Looks good : Pity its on same weekend as the Dublin City Marathon :

Think they are all trying to imitate the best one out there .

http://www.theadventurelife.org/2010/02/tough-guy-claims-to-be-worlds-most-brutal-race-and-the-electric-fence-agrees/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Could be worth doing for the craic.

Will keep an eye on this thread till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Very tempted to sign up but 65e for a 10k bog run is insane. I'd love to have a reason to go back to Westport so soon after GF cos I love the place but I really would have a problem paying that entry fee.

It's obviously a copy of the tough guy alright, just a bit tamer which is no harm because that race is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

It does sound like fun. quite a bit tamer than tough guy which is also held in January when the water is much colder.

€65 does seem a bit expensive for 10km but I paid £120 IIRC for tough guy this year so I suppose it works out much cheaper, especially when you factor in flights and accomodation as well as internal travel costs to be paid for tough guy.

I hope it's a success this year because I should be back in Ireland next year and I would definitely sign up for it if it gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a go at this, should be good craic. €65 is a bit steep though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭woody1

no sea swimming as such as in no racing but there is a cliff jump so i presume youl have to swim out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Out of curiosity did this happen yesterday and did anyone from here compete in the end? Would be interested to hear how it was!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Talked to a lad who did it, said it was tough enough, swimming in cold water was his comment!
    He didn't say much more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

I did it with 8 other guys. After doing gealforce west I thought this would be easy enough. I was wrong. Very tough going. Jumping in and out of the bog and a 100m swim in the cold October waters really sapped the energy levels. Throw in a few climbing walls, an assault course and a 10km course and I was shattered crossing the line.

In saying all that it was a great day. The course was brilliant. I've never done anything like that before and with will be first in line to sign up again next year.:D

Only complaint was that some of the course marking was poor and a bunch of use got lost at one point.

The highlight was the 8 metre jump in the sea after being covered head to toe in the most fowl smelling bog mud.

300+ people did it this year and I see this really growing in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Sounds horrendous to be honest:D

I wouldnt imagine that many girls took part, did they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

There were plenty of girls taking part. I guess it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I do highly recommend it for next year.

Plus don't people pay a fortune to health spa's for mud baths? All free in Turf Guy. :D

I reckon there should be some great photo's on the website when they get around to posting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Can't wait to try this this year.. my cousin just told me about it and im heading over with him and a few others! should be a bit of craic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Hi, Siobhan here from Gaelforce events, just to let you know that we are offering discounts for groups of over 10. Get in touch with the office for details.
    Course is looking great and plans are in full swing

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Also to let you know this years date is the 5th November!

Advertisement