Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you give up your desire for a free iPhone4

Options
  • 30-07-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Re:typing this!!!

If you were offered a free HTC Desire Unlocked
    or
    A free iphone 4 unlocked.

Which would you take to use as your daily phone. I know the iphone is worth more but which would you use?

If you were offered one of these free, which would you take? 39 votes

Free HTC Desire unlocked
    0% 0 votes
    Free iPhone 4 unlocked
    100% 39 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*points and laughs*

What would I do, Well I would buy a 32Gig card for the desire

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

How is it Free if your selling Your iPod Touch, Desire and pouch??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

im asking YE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

No....freekin...way!

*Desire

Retyped the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Just got my desire today and loving it
    over my iPhone and HTC hero :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Desire any day of the week.

The only thing the iPhone has over the desire /android is more apps, most of which are colourful bouncy ball games which are entertaining for a week or two.

But the desire can do so much the iphone can't. Locale is the perfect example, its ingenious. Correct me if i'm wrong but the iphone will never give up the permissions needed for it to work.

Also the way everything is customizable is brilliant and the freedom in the way you use it. No special software needed to set up or get apps, not tied to one computer.

I first looked at Android as a cheaper alternative to iphone and its stupid bill plans, but honestly could never go back.

And android and the market are only going to get better as Google work their magic and the user (and thus revenue base) to grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Take the desire evey time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'll take the desire. there's simply too much effort involved to get the iphone to be like the desire with various jailbreaks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Just got my desire today and loving it
    over my iPhone and HTC hero :D

where did u get urs i was told they wont be in 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No chance, iPhone 4 is a lovely phone, but iOS 4 is a piece of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Where's the poll?

Desire please.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Where's the poll?

Poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

It's a ridiculous question for this particular forum. It's akin to positive trolling. What the hell kind of answer to you expect to get from a load of desire users.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It's a ridiculous question for this particular forum. It's akin to positive trolling. What the hell kind of answer to you expect to get from a load of desire users.

You dont have to be a android lover to browse this forum. You could say the same, if you posted this in AMD, that all the answers will be for the iphone. Thats just the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Davy wrote: »
    You dont have to be a android lover to browse this forum. You could say the same, if you posted this in AMD, that all the answers will be for the iphone. Thats just the way it goes.

Of course it would. But there is no way this guy is gonna get impartial advice here. Just look at all the answers. The best thread this fella should read is - what annoys you about your desire? The iPhone limitations are well documented at this stage so anybody should really be able to make up their mind. I can't offer an opinion because I'm a desire user. I moved from an iPhone to a desire - nuff said.

Yet I overheard some o2 salesman tell a customer that one fella had an iPhone, bought a desire, didn't like it and moved back. Worst salesman ever assuming they'll have desires before iphones.

I dont want impartial advice. I want to see if HTC desire owners would give up their HTC for a free iphone 4 to use on a dauly basis.

The problem so far is that nobody has actually compared the iphone 4. Everyone is using their comparison to an iphone 3g or 3gs.

Hogzy wrote: »
    I dont want impartial advice. I want to see if HTC desire owners would give up their HTC for a free iphone 4 to use on a dauly basis.

The problem so far is that nobody has actually compared the iphone 4. Everyone is using their comparison to an iphone 3g or 3gs.

Never used either really, but is there much of a difference other than the camera on the front (and its anti-leftie bias)?

From playing around with the new iOS4 on my ipod touch, i don't see very much different at all between the software.

The iPhone 4 adds very little over the 3GS:

- Up to a 10% Speed Boost
    - A front facing camera
    - The very limited wifi only iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 facetime service
    - iMovie
    - Screen Resolution boost
    - 720p recording versus 480p video recording.

All the rest of the major improvements are OS based.

The Speed boost is minimal. The front facing camera is useless due to facetimes limitations, and I personally think video calling is a gimmick, I have had it on phones going back years and never used it. iMovie is a gimmick, much like notes, numbers and keynote on iPad / iPhone, a phone simple isn't made for these activities, and in 5 mins on a computer you could accomplish an hour or mores work done on the phone. The Screen Res just brings it in line with Android Smart phones, and 720p is nothing new, the HTC Desire does it.

The iPhone 4 is a beautifully crafted phone, and if it ran Android I'd buy one, but iOS4 is a steaming turd of an OS, it multitasks incredibly badly, the notifications system is woeful, has no widgets, and its simply not a patch on Android at this stage.

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    Never used either really, but is there much of a difference other than the camera on the front (and its anti-leftie bias)?

From playing around with the new iOS4 on my ipod touch, i don't see very much different at all between the software.

Its screen is meant to be super-duper-ultra-fantastically awesome.
    What is leaning me towards getting an iphone is the apps, if you ever hear of a company having an app its always for iphone, its a bonus to get it for android. Newspaper/rte etc etc. For me and MY USE FOR THE PHONE i fell android just needs to develop applications (Which is neither android or HTC's fault). Also the extra features of the Desire like tethering are things i dont really need, and its started to get to me (probably the sunny summer) that i cant see the screen when the sky is reflecting off it.

And the fact that if i buy a factory unlocked one they hold their value so well. Where as my desire wont because a better android phone is released every 4-5 months. What i might do is buy one and once a really cool android phone comes out sign up to a contract and sell the iphone (might loose one hundred quid or so but its worth a punt.
    Due to the demand of the iphone its so easy to resell them.

Ill see how it goes though. My Desire had to be sent to HTC for repair the other day so i might end up changing my mind when i get back.

Its screen is meant to be super-duper-ultra-fantastically awesome.
    What is leaning me towards getting an iphone is the apps, if you ever hear of a company having an app its always for iphone, its a bonus to get it for android. Newspaper/rte etc etc. For me and MY USE FOR THE PHONE i fell android just needs to develop applications (Which is neither android or HTC's fault). Also the extra features of the Desire like tethering are things i dont really need...

And the fact that if i buy a factory unlocked one they hold their value so well. Where as my desire wont because a better android phone is released every 4-5 months. What i might do is buy one and once a really cool android phone comes out sign up to a contract and sell the iphone (might loose one hundred quid or so but its worth a punt.
    Due to the demand of the iphone its so easy to resell them.

Ill see how it goes though. My Desire had to be sent to HTC for repair the other day so i might end up changing my mind when i get back.

In fairness my desire's screen is super duper ultra fantastically awesome. The novelty of the screen will wear off fast.

Up to yourself, if its apps you want then go for the iPhone.

But remember, what android lacks in quantity, it makes up for in quality. You can just do so much more with android apps. and most of the apps you download on either platform are pants anyway.

at least with android (if you have it rooted/uk sim) when you buy apps, you get a 24hr money back guarantee!

floggg wrote: »
    But remember, what android lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality
    dont know if i can agree. 2 weeks after i got the desire it started to randomly restart itself occasionly. It got worse and worse to the point if i started an app or was multitasking it would go into a restart loop. Battery would have to be taken out for 30mins and put back in just to restart the phone. Apparently its quite common (not as common as the death grip though haha;)). Apparently the rom needs to be reflashed but i just dont understand how that cant be done online with a program. I had to return it to HTC in Milton Keynes (at my expense despite being under warranty) and now im without a (good)phone (have a k750i).
    You can just do so much more with android apps
    Agreed... I dont know what i would do without widgets and the buttons to turn on/off GPS, Wifi, 3g, Silent etc on the homescreen are a godsend.
    most of the apps you download on either platform are pants anyway.
    Agreed to an extent but there are apps on the app store that i have used on other people's iphones that are fantastic but theyre not available for android (like i said above though give android time and they will catch up). I really do think the future is Android but for what i want from a phone i think iphone has it all now and im not risking my money. If i hate it i can sell it and loose out no more than €50.
    at least with android (if you have it rooted/uk sim) when you buy apps, you get a 24hr money back guarantee!
    Did not know about that at all. How do you 'return' the app?

Just uninstall it within 24 hours

dont know if i can agree. 2 weeks after i got the desire it started to randomly restart itself occasionly. It got worse and worse to the point if i started an app or was multitasking it would go into a restart loop. Battery would have to be taken out for 30mins and put back in just to restart the phone. Apparently its quite common (not as common as the death grip though haha;)). Apparently the rom needs to be reflashed but i just dont understand how that cant be done online with a program. I had to return it to HTC in Milton Keynes (at my expense despite being under warranty) and now im without a (good)phone (have a k750i).

Well that sounds like a dodgy unit. Not an android wide problem. Plenty of people return iPhones.

As for returning it at your own expense...you really should have got whatever store you got it from to repair or replace it, free of charge. That would be the case with any electronic device that was defective after 2 weeks (or 2 months at that)!

For any app you buy on the android market, you will have a 24 hour period after purchasing it in which you can uninstall and refund. If you uninstall within that period, nothing gets charged to your credit card. Easy peasy.

Only works once though, so you can't keep buying and refunding every day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Desire is a cracking phone, I'm loving mine.
    What I'm not loving is the truly lousy battery life and the lack of an open Android Market here in Ireland.
    Now, as for the first thing, I know that Froyo is supposed to help alleviate battery issues, but that's not here yet for the Desire, I don't want to root the phone and download a hacked version of the standard Froyo, rather wait for the HTC Sense version specifically fo the Desire.
    And as for the latter, I know there are alternate marketplaces, I know there are apps to change the location of the phone and so allow access, but why the hell should Ihave to jump through hoops to buy applications I want?
    Not only that but there is a far wider selection of apps from the UK Android App Store as well, free and otherwise.
    So, when are they going to get their act together?
    I do love my HTC Desire but these little foibles really take that sheen off, and give my iPhone loving friends reason to gloat.

Advertisement