Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Ringsend/Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 30-07-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I used to have an account here but I wasn't able to recover my password. Anyway, my housemates and I are moving into a house in this area in a few weeks time. The rent is cheap, the property is grand, 10-15 minutes walk to college and I believe it's in the UPC 100Mpbs area(very important)

I was just wondering what people think of the area, is it safe, etc.? It looked grand when we went for a viewing, very quiet and nobody dodgy hanging around, but maybe we went at a bad time. That little enclave of former council houses in the middle of the redevelopment of Grand Canal Dock just seemed a little weird.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Nice enough area but would be dodgy at night time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 feckabout

abrr1000 wrote: »

Nonsense. I've worked and lived around there for over ten years and its as safe as houses. A lovely area to live in OP, hope it works out well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

abrr1000 wrote: »
    feckabout wrote: »
    Nonsense. I've worked and lived around there for over ten years and its as safe as houses. A lovely area to live in OP, hope it works out well for you.
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm going to go with my gut, which is that it is a nice area. Lots of properties in that area are for rent too, which implies to me that most of the people renting are Trinity students like myself or workers in Google and other companies in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    implies to me that most of the people renting are Trinity students like myself or workers in Google and other companies in the area.

Yup. Lots of medical and nursing staff in the area too cos of its proximity to Holles St. maternity hospital. I've lived in the area for the past 7 years and it's lovely. Close to town, lots of shops and restaurants and have never had the slightest bit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Lived there for 3 years and never had a problem. Would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I live there now, only moved recently, but would highly recommend it.

Great news, thanks for assuaging my fears, guys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lived in Ringsend for several months - Thorncastle Street (turn left at the church if you're coming from town). Perfectly safe area. Doesn't have much of a village but it's so close to town and Sandymount. I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Have lived and worked around Grand Canal for years. It's a great area. There is a great energy about the place, some fabulous pubs and restaurants, you are fifteen minutes walk from town, I can hear people cheer from the new Landsdowne Road (Aviva), you have the Dog Track for a great night out, there is a sense of community as a lot of the people in the streets off South Lotts have been in those houses for generations and in all the time I have lived here I have never seen any rough element or trouble. Great area, you will really enjoy it! Lol, and I can see your new place from my window haha so be sure to say hello!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just seen this thread now. OP, my OH parents live literally around the corner from that prospective address, you have nothing to fear. It is indeed a safe area to walk those narrow streets at night, i've often done it myself!

The council houses have a tight knit community which has been 'gentrified' by the likes of Google moving in but there is not animosity between oldcomers and newcomers, enjoy yourself lucky thing living here!

PS- Enjoy the Spar around the corner!

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, I'm really glad for all the feedback. Had a ramble down again today while I was in town, and I have to agree with you all, it seemed a lovely little area. Visited that Eurospar too, handy location.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 parentissimo

Hello guys,
    I'm new of the forum.
    I'm digging up this thread because, probably, I'm going to live in this area.
    The house I'm interest in, is located in the portview apartments building. The apartment is exposed on the river.
    Do you think, after 4 years from the last post, that this area is still safe? Do you think there could be "bad smell" or "mosquitos" issues as the house is located very very close to the water of the canal?
    Thank you all in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'm originally from that area and have relatives that live in those very apartments. It's a perfectly safe area and nothing to worry about.

The only hassle in and around those apartments in when there is an event on in the O2 (3 Arena or whatever they call it nowaday) - traffic is a standstill as the streets are narrow and you get a lot of taxi's dropping people off on that side of the Eastlink bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 parentissimo

RayCon wrote: »
    I'm originally from that area and have relatives that live in those very apartments. It's a perfectly safe area and nothing to worry about.

The only hassle in and around those apartments in when there is an event on in the O2 (3 Arena or whatever they call it nowaday) - traffic is a standstill as the streets are narrow and you get a lot of taxi's dropping people off on that side of the Eastlink bridge.

Hi RayCon.
    Thank you for your kind reply.
    I hope to receive other information from other people as well.
    Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Bear in mind in summer months you will get local lower class kids jumping in and out of the dock and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Definitely check out this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056988882

http://www.dailyedge.ie/video-motherland-canal-jumping-1098188-Sep2013/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/jumping-into-grand-canal-dock-1510019-Jun2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

You will have to endure the sight and sound of nouveau riche Google hipster employees regularly which can drive an unashamedly corporate pig insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tastestory

Hi, just read this thread from a decade ago. I am looking at an apartment in Grand Canal Dock area to buy. It's on Sir John Rogerson's Quay close to Marker Hotel and Bord Gais theater, facing right to Liffey River. It seems to be very quiet. I was there on Saturday and could hardly see pedestrian on the street. I wonder if it's safe there especially walking at night. I currently live on Barrow Street, which is more lively. I always feel safe where I live now. I was told that robberies could happen in late afternoon in IFSC after office employees go home. Considering Sir Rogerson's Quay is just across the river from IFSC, I have a bit concern. Does anyone have some experience and insight and could share with me? Thanks~~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

My sis lives very near the last 10+years & we often walk the dog around there in the evening. It’s very quiet - still hasn’t got office staff back much since the pandemic, so there’s only brewdog open sometimes down near benson st end. I think it’s very safe, and no comparison to the IFSC area. The area from the theatre to brewdog is just not as accessible by car - there’s just two roads in and out, Misery lane and Sir John Rogerson quay.

Check that the apartment you are investing in does not have outstanding fire work to be done. Many apartments around there have been landed with a hefty bill for fire compliance regulations. Over 10 grand per apartment in one block around there, and this is only in the last year or two, not an old issue at all.

Is street parking free in Ringsend/Irishtown?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not consistently. There are some free streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Absolutely no issues with robberies or anything in the IFSC. Have lived & worked there for years. The burglary rate in our apartment complex is not only way below the national average, but a miniscule fraction of the Dublin average. TBH, the only noticeable "crime" in the IFSC are the young (typically pre-teen) kids who are a nuisance to the local shops/cafes etc in the evenings and the odd drunk/junkie stumbling along the streets shouting at her boyfriend across the road as they go to/from the luas stop etc. It is one of the safest locations in Dublin.

How about Irishtown Road itself? I can't see any parking signs on streetview

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tastestory

Thanks for sharing your experience~ appreciate it. Unfortunately I didn't get the apartment in the bidding war 😂

Advertisement