Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strat/Build/sparring discussions

Options
  • 30-07-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭

Oddly enough, its the one topic I havnt seen come up yet :O

I have absolutely no Starcraft experience what so ever. My only RTS is playing a high level of Warcraft 3 for a few years back. So I was happy to see my micro and macro still a little bit in shape, although fairly rusty. I must say though I was a bit taken by how easy SC2 units die, holy ****. It is extremely hard to micro your units to a point of keeping them alive, and its unusually easy to kill enemy units with focus fire.

I've been mucking around the practice league with 3 wins out of 3 so far. I've played a few lan games and custom games and so far undefeated :D

But its always a good idea to get talking about some strategies, builds and the likes. The one thing the irish WC3 community always lacked ( apart from actual players) was having a resource to discuss and develop strats and counters, that hlep the national community as a whole, so here, we have the platform, lets use it.

I figure some discussion on tactics and the likes is always fun and its what these games are about, the community aspect. For the moment I'd like to keep everyone in this thread, but heres some example of how to use it

Sparring partner
    If you find yourself weak against one race, or have something you want to test out, why not post here. Request that you need a player to help you for whatever reason and state the reason why. Surely enough youll get a response and your on your merry way.
    In time you will very easily build a nice little network of sparring partners who you will play with regularly, share builds and tactics with, and you will bring each others game along.
    You will also have an animal time playing some 2v2 or 3v3 :)

Build discussions
    Most critical skill in any RTs, how you build your base to units and how fast you do it. In time you will find yourself improving on the time it takes to get yourself to a certain point. As you repeat builds over and over, you get faster and more efficent. Time is of the essence, and getting your units out even 4 seconds before the enemy, gives you the advantage.

Label your post with what race and build your posting on, then share it with fellow posters. Have players critic your build and as above, eventually find someone to test against.

Strats and counters
    Similar to above just a bit more theory based followed by practical work. If you find yourself consistently loosing to a certain unit or strategy, encourage discussion on the issue, then follow up with practical games to see if the counter works.

Replays
    It is how you get better. You watch games of the pros, or some one better then you. You watch your own games that you win and your own games of when you loose.

I'm not sure what facility is here on boards to host/upload replays, I'd imagine little. But I assure you it will only be a matter of time before either someone here provides hosting for replays, or its done en mass by a European site.

I've a server here at home unfortunately just havnt got it hardwired to the internet, if any developements come, fully expect a SC2 community portal developed :D

I'll get the ball rolling on my next post ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If you have not already, I highly recommend you play the Single player challenge modes to familiarize yourself with the units in the game, what counters what and how each unit moves and operates.

It took me about an hour to get done with the basics, and it was a huge help. Not only did I learn comfortably what my Terran forces can do, and who they counter, I also learned what enemy forces counter my units, and how they move.

If you havnt already get yourself through those challenges.

And then if your serious about developing yourself as a player, move straight inot MP. You get 50 unranked challenge matches and then assigned into a bracket of your level. Don't worry about your account or you W:L ratio.

You will only get better by playing real people. Its how I learned in WC3 and its how I intend to learn in SC2, at the moment I'm having an easy ride, 7 wins out of 7. But its no use to me. I need to get hockeyed, I need to play Protoss and Zerg more.

You only get better by playing someone better then yourself ;)

If anyone has any sites/resources that offer a library of replays for both strategies or players playing, I'm all ears.

Warcraft 3 had some fantastic sites well developed for libraries of pro gamers, strats etc, so far havnt found anything for SC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Best hotkey is f1.
    Can post replays here as attachments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Don't see why not. The replay files are tiny. I've a 1 hour 30 min 4's match thats only 102KB !

@Doc, Check out HuskyStarcraft and HDstarcraft on youtube, they cast a lot of games and tournaments. They are also now doing tutorials. Also check out teamliquid.net great resource for SC1 and 2, loads of replays, strats and discussions :)

Me and friends have been passing replays by email, they are literally tiny.

Dont think you can post file attachments on boards though can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Plan to play the campaign first then dive into MP.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I have taken the liberty of going to this thread on teamliquid: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=139384

I found a player from france who is looking for a practice partner. He seems like a pretty sound guy and his english his good. We played 2 games and I won one and he the other. Watchin the replay it's obvious were evenly matched. This is a great system if you guys want to take the game seriously. It allows you to discuss the game and practice the game in a way that you want with your practice partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i put this replay in the other zerg thread :pac: it is a standard (10pool) zergling+ roaches rush against a terran player with merauder+marines, game ended in about 8 minutes.

KulasRavine.SC2 Replay1v1 zerg vs terran.

i know the strat works well in 2v2 atm and this is my first time use it in 1v1. any comment are welcomed. :pac:i know i made tonnes of mistakes, macro/micro needs to be improved.

also i wonder how should i put zerg's base defense in sc2? spines can move but is not very useful during battle:confused: can is sh*tty that we cant block the chokepointe early.

p/s: sc2 zerg looks cooler than ever!!!
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Me and friends have been passing replays by email, they are literally tiny.

Dont think you can post file attachments on boards though can you?

we'll have to use our online storage unless Boards allow us to attach replay file type :( *wink at our forum overlord*

I'd say it is a case, if we let one, everyone wants it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

We could just use one of those replay sites and post a link to the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seraphimvc wrote: »
    we'll have to use our online storage unless Boards allow us to attach replay file type :( *wink at our forum overlord*
    vBulletin wouldn't support such a thing and the site's modestly elite but small dev team's energies are better spent elsewhere. Especially if the service is already hosted somewhere else, much like youtube or flash games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I'd recommend Dropbox for the greatest of ease in filesharing small ish files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lets just find a replay site we all agree on and make individual accounts there. Link back to our replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gamereplays.org is good, i've used them for my coh, ra3 and c&c3 replays and you get alot of good feedback (and if its a really good or bad game...a shoutcast)

Advertisement