Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What recession?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Any else stunned by these figures?

• Porsche has built its 25,000th Panamera after just 10 months of production.

• Rolls-Royce built over 300 cars in June, a record for the company since it launched in January 2003.

• Land Rover sales in the UK were 3417 units in June 2010, up 40% on the same period last year.

• Porsche has taken 16,000 orders for its new Cayenne, which went on sale on 29 May (Porsche)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Not really.

Not everyone is affected by the recession and a lot of countries are doing quiet well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Yep, and the people who buy Top Dollar Porsches,Rollers and the like are those who always had money.....and always will.
    Insulated from recession, lucky feckers........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People forget where the recession came from.

It is caused by and geared around Middle Class people who want to get as far away from Working Class people as possible and feel like Rich people whom then borrowed their way towards thay way of living.(keeping up with the jones)

THOSE PEOPLE cannot afford to spend money.

The people who could actually afford expensive and super cars still can and always can.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,491 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The prices of these type of car have dropped like all the rest so the unaffected rich are even more likely to buy them
    Porsche has built its 25,000th Panamera after just 10 months of production.
    they can build as many as they like, people still won't buy them :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

they can build as many as they like, people still won't buy them :pac::pac::pac:

I dunno...it may be ugly, but it's also brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Since Ireland is the country where the recession hit hardest, bit deepest and had the overall largest impact we tend to think there's a recession in the whole world.
    This is purely due to our excellent leaders who saw fit to put the pedal to the metal when they saw the brick wall coming instead of slowing down and caused a much bigger wreck than needed.
    Thanks to them Ireland is worse off than Spain, Portugal and Greece.
    Everyone else in the world is saying "Recession? Oh yeah, I remember that, wasn't there something a few years ago? You still on about that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Berty wrote: »
    People forget where the recession came from.

It is caused by and geared around Middle Class people who want to get as far away from Working Class people as possible and feel like Rich people whom then borrowed their way towards thay way of living.(keeping up with the jones)

THOSE PEOPLE cannot afford to spend money.

The people who could actually afford expensive and super cars still can and always can.

Indeed, but as it is mainly the nouveau riche who drive modern flash cars (old money types generally drive overengineered cars from the past), don't for a minute think that the luxury end of the market is unaffected. I have seen one person locally change his daily driver from a Maserati Quattroporte to a used diesel Range Rover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

TomMc wrote: »
    Indeed, but as it is mainly the nouveau riche who drive modern flash cars (old money types generally drive overengineered cars from the past), don't for a minute think that the luxury end of the market is unaffected. I have seen one person locally change his daily driver from a Maserati Quattroporte to a used diesel Range Rover.

And did old Bill Cullen ever flog that Bentley?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Any else stunned by these figures?

• Porsche has built its 25,000th Panamera after just 10 months of production.

• Rolls-Royce built over 300 cars in June, a record for the company since it launched in January 2003.

• Land Rover sales in the UK were 3417 units in June 2010, up 40% on the same period last year.

• Porsche has taken 16,000 orders for its new Cayenne, which went on sale on 29 May (Porsche)

Not surprised at all. Recessions only affect working and middle classes, not the big spenders at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well Lamborghini have rolled out their 5000th Murcielago earlier this year I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,045 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would be interesting to know if even one of those cars will be sold here this year.

Would be interesting to know if even one of those cars will be sold here this year.
    Why? just because there's 450,000 on the dole it doesn't mean that those with money shouldn't spend it. There's a panamera around already. If another one comes here, then fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Since Ireland is the country where the recession hit hardest, bit deepest and had the overall largest impact we tend to think there's a recession in the whole world.
    There is, but there isn't one on here anymore.

In any case.

Ireland 6 months to end June 2010 vs. same period 2009

Lexus +106 units (fueled entirely by the RX hybrid with unit increase of 1,637.5%)

Mercedes-Benz +841 units (including an extra 37 S-Class units up 308%)

Just in case you think it's all top end cars and middle Ireland is hurting as bad as the media would have you believe, let me shed a little light. I won't even bother with the superminis as they're all up astronomical amounts with scrappage.

Mazda
    Mazda 3 +438 units (+87%)
    Mazda 6 +17 units (+4.3%)

Ford
    Focus +1,039 units (+46%)
    Mondeo +194 units (+17%)
    Galaxy +24 units (+17.5%)

Toyota
    Avensis +497 units (+20%)
    Prius +189 units (+180%)
    Verso +134 units (+4,467%)

Opel
    Astra +1,188 units (+178%)
    Insignia +492 units (+45.5%)
    Zafira +137 units (+100%)

And just to re-enforce the point further; Ireland's 10 most popular cars for Jan - Jun 2009 (Avensis, Focus, Fiesta, Qashqai, Golf, Passat, Yaris, Corolla, Mondeo and Auris) are collectively ahead of last year's figures by a combined 6,011 units (+32.6%) with only 1 decline (the Auris).

This just goes to prove that the loud minority is bringing down the mood of the the entire nation; while the silent majority remain largely unaffected by economic conditions. Of course that won't sell newspapers and doesn't suit the moaning agenda, but anyhow, I for one am sick of it!

/Rant

But 99er you have an uncle or someone in the trade so you are more likely than not, to hype things up in favour of motor dealers.

Go into your local shopping centres or down main streets and see the number of vacant units/premises. I'd say most retailers turnover is down big time and many are hemorrhaging cash or stuck with stock they cannot sell at any price. Hoping to still be in business when things eventually improve. New car sales shouldn't be a barometre of the state of the nation. A whole cross section of various businesses would be more accurate. Anyway, the unemployment figure is the most relevant stat of all.

But 99er you have an uncle or someone in the trade so you are more likely than not, to hype things up in favour of motor dealers.

Go into your local shopping centres or down main streets and see the number of vacant units/premises. I'd say most retailers turnover is down big time and many are hemorrhaging cash or stuck with stock they cannot sell at any price.

Tesco Ireland half yearly results were released recently and trade is UP by a significant amount...

thats just one, I'm sure there are many many more, I just can't be bothered searching

Tesco Ireland half yearly results were released recently and trade is UP by a significant amount...

thats just one, I'm sure there are many many more, I just can't be bothered searching

Food is an essential item for everyone and we are taking about low value items here. The majority of the retail and service sector relate to higher priced, non-essential or luxury goods and trade or professional services. And since most businesses in Ireland are privately owned, the public never see financial records or the true extent of things (apart from Tax and VAT receipts).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

2 uncles and a cousin. But they don't magic up the national statistics in their offices.

New car sales are the primary barometer for economic conditions as a new car is realistically the only significant discretionary disposible item we consume.

Enter most retail parks or the Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick between 11 and 4 on a Saturday and you're likely to spend a bit of time looking for a parking space.

I'm not making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Rolls Royce isn't only 7 years old...?

Rolls Royce isn't only 7 years old...?

isn't that when the car side of it split from the real, engine making company

Go into your local shopping centres or down main streets and see the number of vacant units/premises. I'd say most retailers turnover is down big time and many are hemorrhaging cash or stuck with stock they cannot sell at any price.

Rubbish, they just need to reduce their prices.

DS game in Smiths : €36
    DS game in Tesco: €29

Shops are going under because people are shopping sensibly. There's more to come from this recession!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,045 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I am afraid those figures are for Tesco as a whole, they don't publish their yearly results with specific breakdown for Irish sales.

ninty9er wrote: »
    2 uncles and a cousin. But they don't magic up the national statistics in their offices.

New car sales are the primary barometer for economic conditions as a new car is realistically the only significant discretionary disposible item we consume.

May be for a general view of consumer confidence, but unemployment figures, tax and VAT receipts tell the real story.
    Enter most retail parks or the Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick between 11 and 4 on a Saturday and you're likely to spend a bit of time looking for a parking space.

I'm not making it up.

I believe you, but like my own local one you could kick football on multiple levels most of the week.
    steve06 wrote: »
    Rubbish, they just need to reduce their prices.

DS game in Smiths : €36
    DS game in Tesco: €29

Shops are going under because people are shopping sensibly. There's more to come from this recession!

Shops are going under because operating costs have remained very high and the public aren't really spending their hard earned on consumer goods, unless they get bargains. With high costs and low footfall, piling high and selling cheap isn't an option for many. Ends do not meet. The population of this country is so small, you cannot sell in bulk like in the UK. So the economies of scale do not exist to make many businesses sustainable on tiny margins. Tesco are in a position to bypass standard distribution channels in a way smaller operators or independents are not. The big boys usually bully their way to be the market leader based on lower prices but inferior or impersonal service. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,240 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote: »
    There is, but there isn't one on here anymore.

Maybe we're not going any deeper any more, but we went down so far it will take a very long time to get back to where we were. How about comparing new car sales 2009 (bottom) vs 2007 (top)?

Most other EU countries like Germany, France, the Netherlands to name a few were down about 20%. Ireland was down nearly 70%. It doesn't mean much that we are picking up a little bit when we are still down, down, down.

Advertisement