Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Crunching" noise from the Brakes.

Options
  • 30-07-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭

Alright lads, was wondering if anyone on here could help me!

Was driving along last night, and when I pressed the break pad, I got this awfully loud crunching noise and I could also feel it in the pedal itself. Now, the brakes still worked, thankfully, but I wouldn't like to be driving along for much longer without finding out whats wrong and fixing it!

It's a 03 Corsa.

Cheers,
    Anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Did you brake hard and/or were you on a wet or slippery surface? It hink it might be the ABS kicking in. I've had that happen a few times in a Ford Fusion and I assumed that's what is was.

Although as the car is seven years old you might want to get new pads anyway, any idea when they were last changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

stone caught in the brakes ?

Does it happen often - or just once off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

tobsey wrote: »
    Did you brake hard and/or were you on a wet or slippery surface? It hink it might be the ABS kicking in. I've had that happen a few times in a Ford Fusion and I assumed that's what is was.

Although as the car is seven years old you might want to get new pads anyway, any idea when they were last changed?

No, wasn't very hard. Was driving fairly slow too, coming up to a junction. Think there was a bit of rain too, but like, conditions didn't seem too bad and the road was okay-ish.

Nah, I havn't a clue! Must get them changed, as these could still be the original ones!

voxpop wrote: »
    stone caught in the brakes ?

Does it happen often - or just once off ?

Doubt a stone got caught in the brakes, or is that common? :confused:

Happened again this morning, although not as loud. Last night was the first time it happened.

if the pads are worn out - you will get a metal grinding noise every time you use the brakes, plus usually a light on the dash

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Deffo get pads checked, takes a garage 2 minutes, wheel off, have a look, better safe than wrapped round a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

If the brakes suddenly sound and feel wrong, and stay feeling wrong;

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR

You could have a pad that has no friction material and is now just a metal plate rubbing against your metal brake disc.

Your braking power is now compromised and i've heard (never seen) that the pads metal back plate (that now has no friction material) may WELD to your disc:eek: if it get hot enough when heated by friction!

GET THE BRAKES VISUALLY CHECKED IMMEDIATELY

It pains me to say it, even go to Fast-Fit ONLY if you cant find an mechanic and ask them to check your pads/disc

Sound for the replies lads. Going out on the beer now in a few minutes so won't be using the car. I'll get my mate (mechanic) to come over tomorrow morning to have a look.

Going out on the beer now in a few minutes

:D Getting a head start to the weekend - nothing like afternoon drinkin ;)

Advertisement