Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boot size - golf / megane / astra etc

Options
  • 30-07-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're going on holidays in two weeks and will need car hire. As we've three kids we need a family size car (golf or similar), which is perfect. However, as we've a two hour journey from the airport to the campsite we also need to be able to carry 3 suitcases (2 full size and one soft holdall type bag) plus a few carry on bags.

Any golf, astra, megane owners out there who can say we'll fit ok? Or do we need to go for a small estate car such as a focus estate. Going for the estate adds a few hundred euro extra, all for just the trip to and from the airport so if we can get away with the regular car then that would be great.

Other option is to stick the wife on the train from the airport to the campsite and bring the luggage in the car in her seat!!!!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Whatsize of car will you be travelling in to the airport over here? Because of they fit then they won't expand after the flight!! I would imagine a golf should be accurate enough but the best thing to do is try it out with friends cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Getting the airport bus!!!!! Usual car here is a Hyundai sante fe so all fits easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Whatcar has a feature to compare specs including boot size - I reckon a larger car like a Mondeo or Passat might be a safer bet considering the amount you are carrying:

http://www.whatcar.com/Review/EditionCompare?newOrUsed=New&makeId=25321&modelId=25322&editionId=34114&makeId1=18501&modelId1=19779&editionId1=32317&makeId2=2080&modelId2=2199&editionId2=33543

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I was in Spain last year for a week and we rented a Focus. We only have one child and we still needed to use the backseat for some luggage. The boot in a Focus is tiny, one large suticase and it's full. That's the reason I didn't buy one as if another baby comes along the car would be useless.

Don't get me wrong i thought it was a good car to drive over there, ccomfortable, decent power and decent spec in the one we got I think. I would consider the option of the mrs going on the train. If the flights at each end are at resonable times and the train fares are cheap. You won't need the big car while you are there so save the cash from the rental fee and spend it enjoying yourself while your there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

boot space you say?

*cough* octavia *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Max Power1 wrote: »
    boot space you say?

*cough* octavia *cough*

I was just about to make the same cough, Octavia is the dogs for boot size.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Remember you can't book a specific car, just a car class. I'd go with mumblin deaf ro on this and book a Passat/Mondeo sized car.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

A citreon Berlingo or a Renault kangoo is not any more expensive than a focus type car if you book through Argus.com and they will easily carry what you require. They may be van like but they are fine and they kids will like the high driving position, i was in France with one of them month and they are well suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I was just about to make the same cough, Octavia is the dogs for boot size.

.... because there's no space in the back :D

Best rental car I ever had was in France 2 years ago. Citroen C5 Estate, HDi Auto with every extra bar leather. IIRC I think it cost about 200 quid more than a Focus sized car over the two weeks. Money well spent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

hondavfr wrote: »
    A citreon Berlingo or a Renault kangoo is not any more expensive than a focus type car if you book through Argus.com and they will easily carry what you require. They may be van like but they are fine and they kids will like the high driving position, i was in France with one of them month and they are well suitable.

Sound advice here, the cube van derived MPV's can usually be booked at a reasonable price compared to C segment estates or D segment saloons and regardless of whether it's a Berlingo, Kangoo or Doblo, you can be sure of a cavernous boot (up to about 800L and that's below the window line, you can stack stuff higher). They're not exactly fun to drive and aren't very pleasing to the eye, but you might find the kids like them.
    With rental cars, you have no guarantee of the exact make and model car you're going to get. You could book a Ford Focus or similar and get a Chevrolet Lacetti hatch with a 275L boot or a Skoda Octavia hatch with a 585L boot, more than twice the size of the Lacetti, or you might just get the Focus coming somewhere in the middle with a 385L boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

As above, what you think you book is not necessarily the same as what you get

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-07-13/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Thanks for all the advice. Got on to avis down in cork and booked a ford focus estate or similar, the similar will be an estate also. So should be sorted. Had joined avis preferred two weeks ago so am entitled to a free upgrade on first booking so might end up with a passat or mondeo.

Advertisement