Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paperwork while buying a car privately...

Options
  • 30-07-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭

AFAIK when someone's buying a car from a private person, last page on VRC is to be filled in, and signed by both seller and buyer. After this, buyer takes a car, and seller sends VRC to Shannon office.
    All nice and no hassle.

But what I'm concerned about, is what if someone wants to cheat you.
    Pretty much a buyer doesn't have any proof that he bought this car. Just nothing.
    Seller could easily go to the Guards, and state that his car was stolen. What then?

How would you protect yourself against anything like this while buying a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CiniO wrote: »
    AFAIK when someone's buying a car from a private person, last page on VRC is to be filled in, and signed by both seller and buyer. After this, buyer takes a car, and seller sends VRC to Shannon office.
    All nice and no hassle.

But what I'm concerned about, is what if someone wants to cheat you.
    Pretty much a buyer doesn't have any proof that he bought this car. Just nothing.
    Seller could easily go to the Guards, and state that his car was stolen. What then?

How would you protect yourself against anything like this while buying a car?

Ask for a signed receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Ask for a signed receipt.

Next time I'll be buying a car I will. Is it a common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CiniO wrote: »
    Next time I'll be buying a car I will. Is it a common practice?

I'm sure it is, just get his/her name on the receipt, make/model of the car and agreed price, and signatures of both yourself and the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Photocopy the VRC if your concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Type this up, print it and bring it with you. Get the seller to sign it, and also to enter their name and address in capital letters, and their phone numbers. Use all words rather than figures (for amount, date), apart from the registration details obviously. The bits between the <> signs are the variables. Drop the <> signs in the actual document, obviously. This receipt does not have to be typed - you could write it clearly by hand too. Try to ensure that it on a complete piece of paper - that is, not a torn half-page.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Use at your own risk. :D

Received from <your full name> the sum of <three thousand euros> in full payment for vehicle <Audi A4> registration number <03-D-12345>. I certify that I am the registered owner of the said vehicle, and that there is no finance or hire purchase outstanding on the said vehicle. Dated this <thirtieth day of July, two thousand and ten>.

Signed:

Name in block capitals:

Address in block capitals:

Landline telephone no.:

Mobile telephone no.:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement