Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage (ZV) cars - what rules?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all. Maybe there was a question ages ago, but i can't find it. Correct me, if i'm wrong, but as i heard, vintage cars can't be used on public roads as daily runner. Is it true? Sounds too bad, because i'm planning to buy a Land Rover and i want to use it as it should be, a 4x4 and a car. Any suggestions, ideas, answers?

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

kukori wrote: »
    Hi all. Maybe there was a question ages ago, but i can't find it. Correct me, if i'm wrong, but as i heard, vintage cars can't be used on public roads as daily runner. Is it true? Sounds too bad, because i'm planning to buy a Land Rover and i want to use it as it should be, a 4x4 and a car. Any suggestions, ideas, answers?

Thanks in advance.

Vic

You can use them in daily use if you tax and insure them as regular cars, but you'll have to do NCT and all that jazz though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kukori

So, literally You're saying that it wouldn't be a vintage car anymore then? I mean i have to tax it as a 2500 ccm diesel car and insure it as well like that? Sounds expensive and bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

kukori wrote: »
    So, literally You're saying that it wouldn't be a vintage car anymore then? I mean i have to tax it as a 2500 ccm diesel car and insure it as well like that? Sounds expensive and bad :(

If it's older than 30 years the tax is e48. If it's old than 20-25 years it'll be eligible for cheaper insurance with restricted mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kukori

Confab wrote: »
    If it's older than 30 years the tax is e48. If it's old than 20-25 years it'll be eligible for cheaper insurance with restricted mileage.
    It's a '75 Land Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Max_Damage wrote: »
    You can use them in daily use if you tax and insure them as regular cars, but you'll have to do NCT and all that jazz though.
    You can use a 1975 ZV plate classic every day - tax will still be €48 and an NCT is not necessary. Classic insurance are generally limited mileage and require that you have the full-time use of another car, but other than that the OP is good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the only difference as just said would be limitations by the insurer on a classics use.Once you have an everyday car as well, it shouldnt be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

A few insurance companies will insure a vintage vehicle for 'everyday use' (i.e. your only vehicle). You will have to make a lot of phone calls, but I believe a few companies have such policies available.

€48 per year road tax and no NCT required applies to all vehicles over 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Silvera wrote: »
    €48 per year road tax and no NCT required applies to all vehicles over 30 years old.
    No NCT only on pre '80 vehicles.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You will have to make a lot of phone calls

No you won't. For a standard car policy call AXA or Hibernian (no upper age limit on the vehicle) anyone else will have an upper limit (AA for instance - 20 years old, even if the policy is underwritten by one of the two above).

For a classic car policy call First Direct, they'll insure it as a main vehicle with a 10k mileage restriction. (My car is my main car and daily driver)
    and no NCT required applies to all vehicles over 30 years old.

Tsk, tsk. Read the charter...;)

Advertisement