Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46 vs E90

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭

just thought id throw this out there - any thoughts on the above such as pros / cons, handling, dynamics etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The E90 bodyshell feels much more rigid than that of the E46, which is a big deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Anan1 wrote: »
    The E90 bodyshell feels much more rigid than that of the E46, which is a big deal to me.

yeah Im a big fan of E46 in terms of ride quality.. eventhough a lot of people say the E90 has better handling but I dont know as Ive never driven one for very long, I recently sold an E46 though so looking to purchase soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have to generally agree with this from the E90's I've driven.

I wanted a 320si and it's a very sweet handling car compared to an E46 320i M-sport Saloon. I don't think the larger engined diesel E90's (330d+) drive that well compared to the petrol models though (or my old E46 330ci Sport) for some reason.

thanks lads.. any other opinions appreciated also

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The E90 is a lot safer too, have a look at the NCAP results for both cars. The ride is quite a bit thumpier for any given wheel size on the E90 due to the run flat tyres, but 16"s are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

E46 - you could change the stereo, decent satnav (not the shíte i-drive), tv tuner and all the bits added on , just the right amount of wood trim imo , excellent longrunning design , put the clear lenses and LED lights on it and its perfect , nice handling, lovely factory options, still has a bold presence about it , not too many curves and the grille sits just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Having had a few of both, I prefer the drive of the e90, but the interior is hideous. That centre radio/climate stack looks like it was designed by a child with a ruler, and it doesn't mate up properly with the console under the gear lever. Was like both were designed in separate buildings by people who had the hump with one another. The e46 had a cabin made from materials that were designed to last and be pleasant to touch. The e90 is made from materials that are designed to be recycled, and feel hard, clinical, and rough.

thanks guys.. @paintdoctor thats pretty much my main issue with the E90.. I dont think i hate the interior that much but its not quite as appealing as E46.. cream leather is out of question either way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Based on looks alone I perfer the E46 over the E90.
    There (E46) becoming very common on the roads theses days tho as there getting very cheap.

martydunf wrote: »
    Based on looks alone I perfer the E46 over the E90.
    There (E46) becoming very common on the roads theses days tho as there getting very cheap.

they seem to be major bargains available on E46's alright.. I wouldnt mind fact they are common tbh, more of an advantage than anything:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement