Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are alfa 159's still a no no??

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I really like the look of the Alfa 159 ti (apart from the frightening depreciation) have they gotten any better with regards to reliability? I know all cars will have problems at some stage but are "recent" alfa's still chart toppers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Alfas have always been reliable when cared for, they just don't take kindly to being neglected. Are you mechanically sympathetic? If so then go for it, if not buy something Japanese.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Didn't the guy from BMW take over Alfa in or around the 146 and crack down on their reliability issues from then on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Anan1 wrote: »
    Alfas have always been reliable when cared for, they just don't take kindly to being neglected.
    That's an over-simplification.

A friend has a 159, looks after it like it was a baby, but yet it does stupid things like (among lots of other things) bursts its diesel filter after only 6000 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I drive a 07 159 and haven't had a problem. I don't treat it any differently from any other car. It's a much nicer place to sit than a BMW or audi

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

On my third 159 JTDm, excellent car, very good mile muncher, nice and comfy & excellent place to be.....I likey the Ti very much..:)

Best of luck in the hunt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have thought very hard about one lately. A mate has a new 159. When you open the door in the morning and smell the real leather and look at the interior. What a way to start your day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

159's are fine when looked after, there's a few around too. Speaking of which is this one a bloody beauty?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/159/1.9-TI-1/201028198773993/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kyote00

Hmmm the 159....

The 159 shares the parts bin with GM which is probably not a bad thing. The JTDM engines are very good. Styling by Giugiaro (also styled the Delorean - little known fact !) so its like a pair of italian shoes - perfect fit but look after them ....

Early models suffered with abnormal front tyre wear - worth checking out....

As the others say, make sure it has a full and on time service hstory....

enjoy (life is short and there are too many ****ing VWs and Audis on the road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kukori

Look, if you choose a car with your heart, you'll be happy with it. Simple as that. Of course you have to care about the car, but if you just take a look on any 159's, you have to say it worths for it. My friend said that: if anyone says the 156, 159 isn't a freakin' beauty, then:

-he's blind
    -he's an utter moron who deserves a kick to the balls

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

kyote00 wrote: »
    Styling by Giugiaro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgetto_Giugiaro

He designed a lot of beauts, but IMO too many fugly yokes (Daewoo!) list on linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Bodhan wrote: »
    159's are fine when looked after, there's a few around too. Speaking of which is this one a bloody beauty?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/159/1.9-TI-1/201028198773993/advert?channel=CARS

Wow, never actually looked at the 159 SportsWagon before, its really nice.
    I have a ye olde 156 Sportswagon to keep my BMWs company, people frequently think its a "rare car" for some reason, but they are fairly uncommon. And nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Wow, never actually looked at the 159 SportsWagon before, its really nice.
    159 sportswagon in black is a work of art on wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Has anybody mentioned that they're crap to drive. :confused:

As far as I know the modern 159 is fairly reliable and IMO it looks fantastic but my God is a poor drive. Far too heavy and under powered , except the diesels but they're even heavier . The last time I drove one I described it to my mate as having concrete boots , not an enjoyable car to drive at all.

I think it was Anan1 who mentioned earlier that Alfas were always reliable so long as you look after them , well thats a bit of a stretch . You could say that about a Ferrari but then again the performance pay off is surreal. Not the case with a modern Alfa. A 156 was a bucket of sh!te. The level of looking after it required relative to the pay back just wasnt worth it. A 156 1.6 isn't fast , a Focus 1.6 is quicker. :eek:

kukori wrote: »
    My friend said that: if anyone says the 156, 159 isn't a freakin' beauty, then:

-he's blind
    -he's an utter moron who deserves a kick to the balls

:)
    THe 159 is a handsome car, but the Mk1 156 is (IMO) a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Saab Ed wrote: »

As far as I know the modern 159 is fairly reliable and IMO it looks fantastic but my God is a poor drive. Far too heavy and under powered , except the diesels but they're even heavier . The last time I drove one I described it to my mate as having concrete boots , not an enjoyable car to drive at all.

Ive never driven the 159, what engine was in it? My 156 is the 2.4 JTD and its remapped, it doesnt feel slow. The Diesels are only 50kg or so heavier, pretty much the same as the V6 Petrol weights. I admit a diesel Alfa is kinda missing the point, but they also have a far better reliability record than the TS petrol engines and for fuel economy they are like 80% better.
    I know someone with a Alfa GT 3.2 V6 (basically coupe version of the 159) and again, while not steller paper BHP figures, its fast in normal driving. He loves it.

I drove a 159 at launch and had the impression that, while other cars had come on in leaps and bounds since the 156, the 159 hadn't. I'd sooner a 156 to an E46 BMW any day, but i'd take an E90 over a 159. Or maybe i'm just getting older..

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ive never driven the 159, what engine was in it? My 156 is the 2.4 JTD and its remapped, it doesnt feel slow. The Diesels are only 50kg or so heavier, pretty much the same as the V6 Petrol weights.

I driven a few now but the best version I've driven was the 120bhp JTD. No complaints with the motor , yeah it could have done with more shove but all in all it was fine. But the chassis for a car in this segment is just very poor. Its not that it does anything wrong , its just that it does nothing very well. No involement at all , numb steering , heavy footed over lumps and bumps. It was clearly designed with a comfort / sport compromise in mind and what you eneded up with was a car that was neither comfy or sporty. Style 9/10 , Engine 7/10 , Chassis 4/10 .... it really is such a let down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

You can thank Saab for that.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    You can thank Saab for that.

Wrong platform . The sh1tness is all Alfas doing with a little bit of GM help :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM/Fiat_Premium_platform is he Alfa 159 where as .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform is the Saab ;)

....not that I care , a Saab 9-5 rides worse than a mechanical rodeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Wrong platform . The sh1tness is all Alfas doing with a little bit of GM help :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM/Fiat_Premium_platform is he Alfa 159 where as .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform is the Saab ;)

....not that I care , a Saab 9-5 rides worse than a mechanical rodeo.
    GM are the real evil here. Saabs ruined, Alfa's ruined, and even styling - look at the 3 door Stilo, fairly decent looking in its day. 5-door stilo? Crap from day one. GM designed that one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement