Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chiffchaffs!

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

I was just sitting in my conservatory watching my regular visitors having their super before bed, and noticed two very small birds arrive, I thought they where Wrens at first glance and then they emerged from the bushes and I knew they where something different. They stayed in the garden for about 20 minutes, hopefully they'll be back tomorrow so I can get a few pictures!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just for the sake of an arguing, how can you be sure they were Chiffchaffs and not Willow Warblers? Their song is the usually the best way of distinguishing them. :D

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/chiffchaff.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looking at pictures on birdforum.net they seem to match a Chiffchaff more than the Willow Warbler, but I could be wrong, hopefully i'll get some pictures tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Bsal wrote: »
    Looking at pictures on birdforum.net they seem to match a Chiffchaff more than the Willow Warbler, but I could be wrong, hopefully i'll get some pictures tomorrow.
    If light is good check the colour of the legs. Willow warbler has light coloured legs while chiffchaff always has dark coloured legs. (beware however birds that have muck on legs).

In the last couple of days only one has been appearing once or twice a day and far away too, so ill have the binoculars handy next time to get a close look at the leg colour.

Got a good view today with binoculars and the legs appear to be dark in colour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement