Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf cuts out when wet

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all a bit of advice required- I have a 95 golf gti which cuts out in heavy rain and when i go through some floods/puddles- not ideal in this country! don't think its the distributor cap as it's always dry and have changed the leads and coil too maybe it's water getting to the electrics somewhere?-anyone with similar problems? It doesn't owe me anything as theres 200k+ but i'd like to get it sorted anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Check the air breather pick up, sounds like too much mositure
    could be getting in, causing the engine to stall and cut out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Most likely it is the dist cap - it doesn't take much moisture to short it out. I have the same year and VW engine also, and it happens to me too. No left hand side splash tray, go through a puddle and it's like a precision jet up into the dist cap area.

There is a diy bodge you can try with a rubber glove http://www.madhouseminis.com/bodge/rubberglove/RubberGlove02.JPG

Last time it happened to me, I got a can of silicone spray and sprayed it around the cap to help repel the water, and also try to avoid going through puddles. That last time was unavoidable as some pr!ck in a lorry was coming around a corner half on my side of the road and forced me off the road where the edge of the road was riddled with potholes full of water (up though lovely Leitrim).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I had a 95 golf that did that. It was the coil... now I have no idea what that is, but its what the mechanic told me, he changed it/fixed it and it was fine after.

Advertisement