Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap diesel car

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all i'm looking for a cheap diesel car to drive 500 plus miles a week for €2-3000, was thinking of a golf but the road tax for a tdi is too high, any suggestions appreciated does anyone know how a 1.4 golf would stack up against a tdi or similar? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

would you consider getting a carvan? Cheap commercial tax! A mate of mine has a 1.4 golf with 160,000 miles on it so they must be fairly ok although i don't really know much about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

my boyf just got a passat tdi moved from a 1.4 golf to one of these and wow the difference is great!! much he now gets over 600 miles to a tank and its so much more comfy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You won't get a sub 1.9 diesel for 2-3k. Or rather, you will but they'll be 25 years old and in rag order. The tax cost for the 1.9 will be more than made up by the economy and performance improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You could pick up a 03 Ford Fiesta or Fusion 1.4 TDCI for that money you might have to add another €500 or so though - small car but reliable and an absolute miser at the pumps wife's Fusion does over 60mpg

Advertisement