Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two lanes turning into three

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a question that's been driving me mad. Say you're driving along in the city and there's two lanes going in the same direction around a corner. There's then traffic lights at a junction, and when you turn there are now three lanes. If you want to go into the middle lane, should you drive in the inside or outside lane when approaching the traffic lights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It would depend on the road markings, If the additional lane is to the outside, then I would be in the outside lane coming into the junction (as what was the outside lane then becomes the middle), conversely if the additional lane is to the inside, then i would be approaching in the inside lane (which will become the middle lane when the third lane is added).

Its kinda hard to explain without knowing the junction though, and if during a test the issue arose, its always keep left.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If in doubt, approach in the left lane. Just be aware when moving into a new lane of cars from other lanes that may be moving into your lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Faith wrote: »
    I've a question that's been driving me mad. Say you're driving along in the city and there's two lanes going in the same direction around a corner. There's then traffic lights at a junction, and when you turn there are now three lanes. If you want to go into the middle lane, should you drive in the inside or outside lane when approaching the traffic lights?
    As a general rule, traffic should stay in lane through the junction. That means that if you want to exit in lane two, you should approach from lane two.

Of course it all depends on the layout, signs and road markings of the particular junction.

Advertisement