Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for 27yr old back living with parents for last 10months?

Options
  • 29-07-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I have been accepted to a Masters in DIT and looking to get the grant.

Lost my job July 2009 and had to move back home with parents September 2009 due to no new job.

Now will being at home for the last 10 or so months scupper my chances of getting the grant.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cleberp

[Out of education since 2004]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Have you been getting Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance since last September. If so you can apply for the Back to Edaucation Allowance. Think it works out better than the grant over the whole college year.

Plus you can still apply to have your fees and registration fee paid for through the grant system. You just wont receive the maintenance grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cleberp

The course is a Masters and so not covered by the BTEA.

OK so you are saying that outside the BTEA I will get the fees and registration fees paid, just that I am not eligible for the maintenance grant.

OK thanks a lot Macca

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Cleberp wrote: »
    The course is a Masters and so not covered by the BTEA.

OK so you are saying that outside the BTEA I will get the fees and registration fees paid, just that I am not eligible for the maintenance grant.

OK thanks a lot Macca

I didn't know Masters were not covered for BTEA. I'm not to sure then Cleberp. I know that if you are getting the BTEA this year than your fees and registration will be paid. If you are not getting BTEA, as is your case, then I'm not so sure.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

AFAIK, your right about not qualifying for BTEA with a masters. Its just HDips. And because youve been living at home for last 10 months ( its taken into account where youve been living since the previous october) your parents income will be taken into account when your apply for the grant to cover your fees. Im in the same situation myself, because I moved back home last year, me income and my parents income will be taken int o account for the grants means test...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cleberp

OK so means test doesn't sound good. My parents are retired farmer and semi-retired nurse. I was living independently until September 2009 so I wont count as an independent mature candidate.

If it covered my fees I would survive but other than that I don't think I could do the course

• Advertisement
Advertisement