Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres screeching And Tyre recommendations Pls

Options
  • 29-07-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have a set of Goodyear's on my little 1.4 golf and even now that they are almost spent I'm still getting tyre screeching.

Let it be a 3 point turn, going around a roundabout or just pulling into the driveway I continue to get tyre screeching and were only talking 10/15mph here.

Its embarrassing at this stage. Any ideas if this might be indicative of a problem at the front of the car or is it something I have to live with or maybe a change in tyre brand might help?

Which brings me to my 2nd question. I have Goodyear's right now that need changing and before that I had Dunlop's and was wondering what tyre you guys always call for when you change? There only 175/80/14 steel rims btw.

As I said on another post I do a lot of driving and go through about 2 and a half sets a year and this is with rotation and so I'd like an opinion as to what is a good set of tyres as I'm trying to get a pretty hefty monthly fuel bill down and can't really afford to change to a tidy TDI/TSI for now so any recommendations to help with Low Noise, Low Friction, Fuel, Irish weather etc etc appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Doesn't sound right at all. How much thread is left on the tyres, and is your tracking correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Confab wrote: »
    Doesn't sound right at all. How much thread is left on the tyres, and is your tracking correct?

Trackings perfect! Had it done again recently and screeching was still there. Tyres have maybe another 2/3k mls left but they've been at this since new.

The steering however doesn't feel quiet right!
    When for example the car is started and I do a full lock either side I can see the front of the car pivot, so instead of the wheels just turning I can see and feel the front of the car move.

Also when driving there seems to be more play in the steering than is normal and going over humps and bumps the steering "feels" very loose?

Bushings maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Trackings perfect! Had it done again recently and screeching was still there. Tyres have maybe another 2/3k mls left but they've been at this since new.

The steering however doesn't feel quiet right!
    When for example the car is started and I do a full lock either side I can see the front of the car pivot, so instead of the wheels just turning I can see and feel the front of the car move.

Also when driving there seems to be more play in the steering than is normal and going over humps and bumps the steering "feels" very loose?

Bushings maybe?

Bushings, ARBs, droplinks... yer front suspension is fecked. Get thee to a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kukori

+1 see the mechanic (a good one). For a tyre advice, i'd say try Continentals, (PremiumContact 2's i have) and discover a brilliant handling with low noise. Won several tyre tests across Europe.

Confab wrote: »
    Bushings, ARBs, droplinks... yer front suspension is fecked. Get thee to a mechanic.

Hum...Thinking ARB's myself as I had a mk3 that had similar symptoms.

Is this a big job? Whats involved?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What sort of miles do you do in a year if you don't mind me asking?

C0N0R wrote: »
    What sort of miles do you do in a year if you don't mind me asking?

between 30/35k mls a year.

Advertisement