Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

change of ownership and taxing

Options
  • 29-07-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this has probably come up before so I'm sorry for the repetition!

i bought a car, private sale, last night, the tax was out on it but I didnt realise i needed the ownership cert to get tax. The guy i bought it off said he'd send the form off. I've been looking it up and seemingly it can take up to 4 weeks.

It is illegal to drive with out proof of tax so i cant drive for 4 weeks??
    I find this absolutely ridiculous!

really hoping someone here can tell me I'm wrong or tell me there is some proof i can get.

i have a receipt from the seller (hand written on an envelope :/)
    i have a tax renewal form, signed by a garda to say the car was out of tax from this date to today. and on this form the guy in the tax office stamped with the date to show i had gone to the tax office looking to buy tax.

Its really annoying because i changed over my insurance and my old car is taxed till next year! Its really unfair if I'm not allowed drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Yea you can't drive without it. Well as much as i'm aware you can't.

Anyways you should never buy a car with getting the cert in hand with it signed.

All it takes if for him to report the car stolen and he'll get it back and he'll have your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You are not meant to drive without tax but the guard would have to be having a real bad day to fine you as you have proof you bought the car and are going to tax it as soon as you have the ownership docs so i wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Mak_United wrote: »

All it takes if for him to report the car stolen and he'll get it back and he'll have your money.

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Anyways you should never buy a car with getting the cert in hand with it signed.

the seller has to send off the log book not the buyer, always a good idea to bring a stamped envalope and have him send it while your there tho.

Depending on the tax office you might not need the book to tax it, check on motortax.it everyday and when you see there has been a notified change of ownership of your reg you should be able to tax it without the book as long as its in your name

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

The VLC is the property of the seller. New owner counter signs it and the legal obligation is on the seller to sort it. There is so much wrong information out there in this regard.

As regards the fact that your old car was taxed until next year.... you can always keep the disc and claim credit when you tax your own car... as far as i know.

any one any idea why you can't tax a car without the VLC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

:/ well he had it up on donedeal and ive a screen grab of that and i also have the receipt in his hand writing and sig so hopefully that wouldnt happen :/
    thanks for scaring me more tho :(

i had two guys with my buying it, really thought they would tell me if they saw a problem with anything like that. I'll ask here first next time! :)

Thanks for the advice!

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Eh?
    was thinkin the exact same thing!! would wanna have some stiff neck te pull that 1 off!

hierro wrote: »
    The VLC is the property of the seller. New owner counter signs it and the legal obligation is on the seller to sort it. There is so much wrong information out there in this regard.

As regards the fact that your old car was taxed until next year.... you can always keep the disc and claim credit when you tax your own car... as far as i know.
    only when you scrap the car not sell it on

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

this happeed to me when i bought a new car no tax tax was out a few months infact but i still drove it was pulled over a few times and explained my story and they all said that was fine one said u might get a moody traffic gaurd that will try take the car off u but it is unlikely!! any way a week later the log book came and i got tax and everything was fine! ive never waited over a week for a log book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

:)
    That seems to be normal in this country.
    You just bought the car, but because of the paperwork you are not legally allowed to drive it. Of course people are telling you, that if you explain the situation to Garda, thay will understand and let you go. And yes - that's usually true - they will.
    But do you think that's how it should work, that law is constructed in the way, that makes you to break it?

I had very similar situation recently.
    I imported a car from NI. Paid VRT and registered it in Ireland. Even it had a test certificated until next year from NI, I'm expected to do NCT straight away here after registering - to be precise - on the same day.
    Obviously, it's imposible, as NCT centres have couple weeks or months backlog with bookings.
    So automatically, after registering car in this country, I was forced not to use it for couple of weeks or months, or just break the law, and hope that guards will understand.

If people are forced to break the law, I'm not surprised thay do it anyway even if they don't have to. I had to.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, also went to the garda station and he was like 'ahh should be grand' lol
    just hope im not unlucky enough to get a really mean garda on bank holiday weekend :/

just one more question, obviously im insured in the new car but iv to get the insurance disc also. its the same policy of my old car just transfered to new car. can i just stick the insurance disc i have into the new car window until i get the new one?

maameeo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, also went to the garda station and he was like 'ahh should be grand' lol
    just hope im not unlucky enough to get a really mean garda on bank holiday weekend :/

just one more question, obviously im insured in the new car but iv to get the insurance disc also. its the same policy of my old car just transfered to new car. can i just stick the insurance disc i have into the new car window until i get the new one?

No you wud be better off to just leave the insurance disc empty and then if u get stoped explain and they `will ask you to produce an insurance cert within ten days of being stoped and ull be fine! havin an iunsurance disk with a different reg can gather all types of the wrong attention like stolen insurance disk ect ect:D

sophie1234 wrote: »
    havin an iunsurance disk with a different reg can gather all types of the wrong attention like stolen insurance disk ect ect:D
    plus its illegal!

even though i've a letter from the insurance company to say it was transfered?

just feel I'll definitely be stopped if there is blank disk holders :(

even though i've a letter from the insurance company to say it was transfered?

just feel I'll definitely be stopped if there is blank disk holders :(
    yup, just have the letter in the car with you and ya'll be fine!

plus its illegal!

well i was thinking that to wasnt 100% sure

so you would better off havin the letter just stuck into were an insurance disk should be :-) ull be grand!!

yup, just have the letter in the car with you and ya'll be fine!

:) thanks

did I mention i'm a worrier? :D

well i was thinking that to wasnt 100% sure

so you would better off havin the letter just stuck into were an insurance disk should be :-) ull be grand!!
    exactly!

:) thanks

did I mention i'm a worrier? :D

ah sure everyone is its a pretty normal thing to worried about! the last car i bought had no tax insurance or nct disk displayed (it had nct had just lost the cert) and was pulled over plenty but as long as ur calm and explain ur story its all good!!

ah sure everyone is its a pretty normal thing to worried about! the last car i bought had no tax insurance or nct disk displayed (it had nct had just lost the cert) and was pulled over plenty but as long as ur calm and explain ur story its all good!!

now ill worry that im not calm enough! :P

No thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

• Advertisement

now ill worry that im not calm enough! :P

No thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

haha ull be grand chances are u wont even be pulled over :p hope it all goes well :]:D happy motoring in ur new car!!

Advertisement