Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant conditions changed. I'm screwed....

Options
  • 29-07-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I've just been informed that my application as an independant mature candidate will be denied... The old conditions were that you had to be living away from home for a year to qualify, be over 23 and have an income below a certain threshold, which i easily qualified for...

but they've just changed the rules so that either you have to have graduated 3 years ago or more... so I think I'm screwed...

I also don't qualify for BTEA because the course I was offered is a Masters, and apparantly, the only postgrad course they'll help with are H Dip's

Is there any financial help I can get at all?

If I was to stay signed on, could I get my social welfare each week, or would I get caught?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jellybean08

Are you sure about this change of rule? I have also just applied for a grant as an independent mature student and they only asked for proof of address for 2009. I would ring your local authority and double check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I'm not entirely sure, but I know someone working in the local grants office who told me this rule has only just come into enforcement, it's not even written in citizens information or student finances, they can pretty much make up the rules as they are going along. It might just be for Masters applicants though...

I think i might go and speak to a local TD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jellybean08

They can't change rules this close to the dead line. I have applied for a masters and if on the application form it only requests 2009 thats what they have to stick to. Perhaps these are changes they are thinking of bringing in for next year...well at least I hope so * is now slightly nervous*

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

i'll post back here when i get official confirmation, but I think they can change the rules at any point...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

There is a thread that I started a few days ago on this board that is similar to this. I am not quite in the same situation as you, as I will be 23 but still be dependent on parents. However, I too am worried about this new rule of being out 3 years or more.... I did find it on the studentfinances website though... can't remember which part of the site but it is there somewhere. Nobody seems to know the exact rule though, but if it helps you should read the answers I got to my thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Beryl Walsh

so can I not apply for an independent mature student if I am living with my parents? I don't have a clue about this and really need to start applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Icarian wrote: »

but they've just changed the rules so that either you have to have graduated 3 years ago or more... so I think I'm screwed...

I'm confused by this. I'm hoping to get an grant as an independent mature candidate next year, sadly not this year though (even though I receive no financial support from my family :mad: hrrrump!) but what do you mean by "you have to have graduated 3 years ago or more"

Graduated from what? Second level/ Leaving Cert.? I certainly hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Icarian wrote: »
    I've just been informed that my application as an independant mature candidate will be denied... The old conditions were that you had to be living away from home for a year to qualify, be over 23 and have an income below a certain threshold, which i easily qualified for...

I also don't qualify for BTEA because the course I was offered is a Masters, and apparantly, the only postgrad course they'll help with are H Dip's

Is there any financial help I can get at all?

If I was to stay signed on, could I get my social welfare each week, or would I get caught?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You may have to apply as a dependent based on your parents income

The other options are; ask your college about the student assistance fund, apply to your local credit union for a loan

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

so can I not apply for an independent mature student if I am living with my parents? I don't have a clue about this and really need to start applying.

No

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/he_heg_scheme.pdf?language=EN
    "independent mature candidate" means a mature candidate who was not ordinarily resident with his/her parents or legal guardian from 1 October, 2009;

You have to apply for a grant based on your parents income

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I'm confused by this. I'm hoping to get an grant as an independent mature candidate next year, sadly not this year though (even though I receive no financial support from my family :mad: hrrrump!) but what do you mean by "you have to have graduated 3 years ago or more"

Graduated from what? Second level/ Leaving Cert.? I certainly hope so...

Do these definitions make it clearer?

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/he_heg_scheme.pdf?language=EN
    "mature candidate" means a candidate who is at least 23 years of age on the 1st of January of the year of entry or re-entry to an approved course;

"independent mature candidate" means a mature candidate who was not ordinarily resident with his/her parents or legal guardian from 1 October, 2009;

"re-entering" means entering as a mature candidate following a break of at least three years, having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardian, and having previously attended a course approved for the purposes of the Higher Education Grants [HEG] Scheme or the Vocational Education Committees [VEC] Scholarship Scheme

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement