Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT robbery

Options
  • 29-07-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just got car NCT today. €50 bloody robbery.
    2 years ago I'm almost certain is was €35. An increase of what..42% or so. Robbery.
    The government tell us theres a reccession and that prices have come down over the last 2 years..... so how is this whopping increase justifiable:mad:.

Someone should start a campaign, sorry no 'a rebellion' against it.

Rant over, now then, thats better aahhh...............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I think its alot longer than 2 yrs since it was €35, maybe the test you did 4 yrs ago was 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think its alot longer than 2 yrs since it was €35, maybe the test you did 4 yrs ago was 35

Same as everything. I remember being able to get pissed for 35 euro. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

An NCT test takes a bit of time and requires some fairly expensive equipment - I don't think €50 is an unreasonable charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Mine was great value - was told to put my credit card away. I had applied back in april and they could only do it in July, so got it free. while I was at the counter a woman also got hers free...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anan1 wrote: »
    An NCT test takes a bit of time and requires some fairly expensive equipment - I don't think €50 is an unreasonable charge.

+1

And it was €48 two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Id have to agree with that, its not much to pay for reasurance!

sarason i remember when i could fill my car for 23 quid! and im only 25!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I could be wrong but not by much, mine flew through in not much more than 10mins it seemed to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I could be wrong but not by much, mine flew through in not much more than 10mins it seemed to me!

Was there a match about to start in the world cup?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In fairness it's not too bad, how much would a franchised garage charge for the same kind of checkup?
    Probably around the E230 mark on "special offer".
    Or they'll do it as a pre-NCT check which always seems to uncover hundreds of Euros worth of repairs that need to be done...
    I service the motor myself and I see the NCT as a great, cheap checkup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

50euro is fairly reasonable.Your getting:

An emissions test
    Slip/Slide test
    Brake Test and thorough inspection of brake pads, disks, etc
    Headlight Alignment
    Suspension Test
    Fluids Checked
    Chassis and Body Work
    Safety (seat belts, seats, door mechanisms)

I remember a time and you could get 4 pints for 10 punts. that wasnt that long ago either 2001 when I started college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

When you hear the words it passed 50e is a small price to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It is when you have to get it done because of the law.
    If it was a choice to get your car checked out then yeah, it's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

SV wrote: »
    It is when you have to get it done because of the law.
    If it was a choice to get your car checked out then yeah, it's great value.

but then you know that cars on the road are safer and your less likely to have brakes dail, a wheel fall off something that could happen if the cars arn't checked periodically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

or some people could pass the nct today and never change a thing till the next one is up in two years time.. if you care for your car you wont need a nct test to tell you whats wrong as you will have looked after it and replaced worn parts when needed. if ya dont ya will just stay driving it till it breaks down

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

sean1141 wrote: »
    or some people could pass the nct today and never change a thing till the next one is up in two years time.. if you care for your car you wont need a nct test to tell you whats wrong as you will have looked after it and replaced worn parts when needed. if ya dont ya will just stay driving it till it breaks down[/QUOTE
    There was some rough cars on the road before the nct came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

and there still are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sophisticated

I agree with the NCT as it definitely leads to safer cars on the road but it is also a money making racket. A couple of years ago, I was given the chance to make use of a car which had not been driven for 2 years after a family member passed away. It was in great condition and it seemed a shame to have it lying in a garage as there was no way that the family wanted to get rid of it. We decided to have it serviced and realised it was due to have had an NCT carried out on it over a year previously. We changed the registration details and applied for the test. When we had it tested, it passed but they would only pass it for 6 months and advised it would be due another NCT then. We had explained the situation and advised that there was a new owner but they said that the NCT had to be backdated even though it was not in use. That is not about safety, that is about making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

sean1141 wrote: »
    or some people could pass the nct today and never change a thing till the next one is up in two years time.. if you care for your car you wont need a nct test to tell you whats wrong as you will have looked after it and replaced worn parts when needed. if ya dont ya will just stay driving it till it breaks down

+1
    Have your car serviced regularly and by a mechanic. You don`t have to be a mechanic to work in a NCT centre, just know where to stick a probe.
    Your car may pass the NCT today, it won`t stop your brakes from failing tomorrow.

Once you leave the centre the NCT cert is worth nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mine's going to cost me €72. I cancelled the first one because, ironically, I couldn't afford it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement