Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help/advice bout our epileptic dog

Options
  • 29-07-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

we have an epileptic dog who requires medication every day to control seizures. the cost of these meds until two months ago was about 40 euro. however the company that makes one of the meds has changed the name (like taking panadol instead of paracetomol!) and now the cost of the meds has jumped to 90 euro a month although it is the exact same tablet!!! the medication is called kbr (the other med pheno is not expensive). anyway just wondering has anyone any advice about getting them online or any other cheaper option??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Bump....
    Anyone any ideas of how to get animal medication cheaper??
    Any online sites?
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Have you talked to your vet about this, maybe they can advise where you might get them cheaper, or maybe negotiate a discount, it's crazy that the price has gone up that much.

As for buying on the internet, it's generally not advisable for medications for animals or humans, you just never know what's in them and you could end up doing more harm than good.

I would definitely talk to your vet as your first port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    As for buying on the internet, it's generally not advisable for medications for animals or humans, you just never know what's in them and you could end up doing more harm than good.

+1, I'm afraid it's not really something we can advocate here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd ring around other vets too and see what they charge for the same medication, it may vary between surgeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Vetuk.co.uk
    Petmeds.co.uk
    Medicanimal.co.uk
    Chemistdirect.co.uk

All of the sites above allow you to buy prescription medications for much less than you pay here - you just need to ask your vet here for a prescriton and then you scan and mail/fax to the website. Vetuk and petmeds have the best prices for anything I've ordered off them and ship fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

[QUOTE=tk123;

All of the sites above allow you to buy prescription medications for much less than you pay here - you just need to ask your vet here for a prescriton and then you scan and mail/fax to the website. Vetuk and petmeds have the best prices for anything I've ordered off them and ship fast.[/QUOTE]

You do understand that legally a vet cannot write a prescription for the purchase of drugs from another country.

Phenobarb has gone up in price as we, as vets, can no longer get it from the UK and must get the more expensive human version from the chemist. This is due to changes in UK regulations on controlled drugs.

Advertisement