Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! watch minute hand swinging freely!

Options
  • 29-07-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

As you can read from the title, the minute hand on my watch has started swinging freely by this I mean what ever angle the watch is at the hand will swing to this position thus showing the incorrect time. Does anyone know anywhere I could get this fixed cheaply? I tried one place in town and was quoted over €350 to get it fixed! Anyone else ever had this happen before? Is this the end of my poor watch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Dramatik wrote: »
    As you can read from the title, the minute hand on my watch has started swinging freely by this I mean what ever angle the watch is at the hand will swing to this position thus showing the incorrect time. Does anyone know anywhere I could get this fixed cheaply? I tried one place in town and was quoted over €350 to get it fixed! Anyone else ever had this happen before? Is this the end of my poor watch?

first of all you should mention which watch we are talking about.
    €350 can be nothing if you have a Lange & Sonhe Timezone, but can be the end of your watch if you have a SEIKO.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Blackpitts wrote: »
    first of all you should mention which watch we are talking about.
    €350 can be nothing if you have a Lange & Sonhe Timezone, but can be the end of your watch if you have a SEIKO.

Sorry the make is TW STEEL, I'm not sure of the model as I'm in work.

*edit* just looked on their website, it looks like the canteen style possibly TW 9

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Dramatik wrote: »
    Sorry the make is TW STEEL, I'm not sure of the model as I'm in work.

*edit* just looked on their website, it looks like the canteen style possibly TW 9

so is it a quartz? a TW9 is priced 450 euro on ebay...and the guy had the guts of asking you 350 for a repair :rolleyes:
    If you are willing to pay this money, my advice would be to get rid of it and buy a new one, or take this as a message from God and buy a proper watch.
    if this is the style you like, you might want to consider a Steinhart Nav-B which has a manual movement, good finish, open case and it is cheaper+
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=13&Sel_ID=18#13

there is the Nav-B chrono version too, but it's more expensive but who really need a chrono function anyway...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

if this is the style you like, you might want to consider a Steinhart Nav-B which has a manual movement, good finish, open case and it is cheaper+

there is the Nav-B chrono version too, but it's more expensive but who really need a chrono function anyway...
    +1000 to this

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

so is it a quartz? a TW9 is priced 450 euro on ebay...and the guy had the guts of asking you 350 for a repair :rolleyes:
    If you are willing to pay this money, my advice would be to get rid of it and buy a new one, or take this as a message from God and buy a proper watch.

Yes it's a quartz, I was willing to spend around €50 to get it fixed, I was shocked when I heard it was gonna be €350, so if I can't get it fixed for €50 then there's no other option for me. I don't see myself buying another TW Steel watch in the near future some how. I got 6 years out of it but for that kind of money I would expect a minimum of 10 years at the least. Serves me right for not looking into some other makes.
    That watch does look nice but sadly I don't have €350 to spend on a new watch :(

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote: »
    Have a read of this, any of the places listed there should be able to fix the watch for you and all but maybe one of them will be far more reasonable than €350.

Sound, I'll give those ones a try.

Advertisement