Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing an 8th LC subject outside school

Options
  • 29-07-2010 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi, I'd like to do history and business for LC but I have to choose one of the two for school.

The one that I don't choose, I plan to do on my own at home with the textbook. Which do you think would be easier to do without a teacher? I'm leaning towards history but I'm confused regarding the fact the teacher picks two modules and the class go on trips. Would I be able to choose my own modules, not go on the trips and still sit the LC exam?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

History needs a teacher to sign off on your project, so, Business I suppose.
    Of course you can leave out the project, sit the exam and take the marks hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Do business outside of school. History is not easy and you will be better off with the extra time for history. Business is a bit long and boring but it isn't particularly hard, the exam itself is actually one of the nicer exams to sit, nice amount of choice in it. IE answearing 4 questions out of seven + an Applied Business Question and short questions. Also there is no project for business but there is for history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

I would reccomened Business, there is a lot of theory involved, but not as much as in History. A lot of Business is common sense where as in history you have to know the cold hard facts. However there is a specific answering technique used in every business question
    1. State Your Answer
    2. Explain Your Answer
    3.Give an example

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

I would do Business outside of school if I were you. History needs plenty of practice and knowledge of cold hard facts and to be honest you'd need as much class time as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Im doing business myself outside school,honestly it is very easy & there is no problems with modules ,projects ,trips & all that other nonsense.
    If you do pick business,buy shortcuts to success that book has so much pointless crap in it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

iMaster wrote: »
    Hi, I'd like to do history and business for LC but I have to choose one of the two for school.

The one that I don't choose, I plan to do on my own at home with the textbook. Which do you think would be easier to do without a teacher? I'm leaning towards history but I'm confused regarding the fact the teacher picks two modules and the class go on trips. Would I be able to choose my own modules, not go on the trips and still sit the LC exam?

Any help would be appreciated.

As a person who studied history solo for my leaving cert, I'd go with History. Asuming you can get certain things.....
    The project is a huge deal, 20% is in the bag if you can nail the project, if you have a history class in school and the teacher isn't an almighty scumbag, as long as you show him/her your project a few times, they'll prob sign off on it. Asuming they'll do that.....your sorted. ( By the by.... if u need any advice on the project, I know exactly the format and what you need to do....so don't hesitate to ask)

Go to the revision course at around 5th year christmas.....or 6th year mid term. The guy in the institute, Sean Delap, is excellent, and he will give you a good block of notes from which to guide your study. Don't worry if you havn't covered everything or whatever, he doesn't ask questions... :) If you do that, and get the books too.....you'll have a good idea of the stuff you need to learn and the structure and length of essays.

Choose your topics carefully..... I picked USA because you can really cut down on it, theres not as much in it, and it can be rather interesting at times,
    Dict and democracy because it's the most popular and there will always be a hitler q. know hitler inside out and around about, Britain and a touch of muss....and your sorted there.
    And persuit of sov for Ireland.... it's an interesting enough one.

Also, if you can get a teacher to correct an essay every now and again, you'll be fine.

The super thing about doing hist outside school is the fact that you can simply learn it....theres no figuring out formula's and stuff, and also, any extra info surrounding the topics that you might be interested in finding out can be shoved into an essay for extra marks.

I think thats it, I did hist on my own, and I hope it will be my best grade.... a1 lets hope!:)
    any q's dnt be afraid to ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Is there a reason you want to do the 8th? I just think sometimes concentrating on the others is best. That said, I did 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

I did both Business and History for LC and even though i despised Business and loved History I would definitely advise you NOT to attempt History by yourself. Business is just learning off the book word for word whereas History requires a technique which you'll need a teacher to help you aquire (unless you're very lucky and you already have the ability to edit 7 page essays down to 4 page exam friendly ones :p)

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Is there a reason you want to do the 8th? I just think sometimes concentrating on the others is best. That said, I did 8.

I did 8 and twas the best decision I ever made, I was able to do pass Irish and not do a tap all year! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iMaster

orlabobs wrote: »
    I did 8 and twas the best decision I ever made, I was able to do pass Irish and not do a tap all year! :)

Yeah, doing an 8th so I don't have to stress about Irish. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement