Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Major F*&k Up with A3 TDI

Options
  • 29-07-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I posted last week about buying a 2.0 A3 TDI.
    I bought the car private and collected it on tuesday, handed over a cheque from the credit union and signed a sale agreement with the seller.

This morning I heard a spinning noise, almost like a siren going high pitched when I accelerated and low when I took my foot off. not very load, as in not as load as the engine. Slightly concerned.

Driving along the motorway, coming up to a toll booth, slowing down the gears went a bit funny, I pulled in, got it into gear, felt abit clunky and took off, now theres a scraping noise, im freaking out at this stage but drive on, come to traffic and as i come down the gears i get the scraping noise again and couldnt engage gears so i pull over, get it into gear and crawl to my car park.
    I rang the credit union and they say they cant cancel the cheque as it is not legal for them to do so as it has been handed over to the recipient.

Im now having to crawl it to a dealer to get whatever is wrong fixed. Im in bits here so go easy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to say from here but it could be nothing more alarming than the gear box selector fork, any nasty smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That sucks! Hopefully nothing too serious. I'm sure you'll get loads of posts about the clutch needing replacing or the entire gearbox and all the frightful associated costs but here's hoping it's something simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

mike65 wrote: »
    Hard to say from here but it could be nothing more alarming than the gear box selector folk, any nasty smell?

The selector forks in the 6 speed box do tend to go, not an easy fix. Most people replace the gearbox instead of opening one up.

If the op can select all the gears and drive the car it's not the selector fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Thats frightening stuff, bad luck to be having problems with the car
    so soon. Hope its not an expensive fix either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Details here.
    Right well I took into the car yesterday and took the gearbox out,
    took one down at work before so I knew how heavy they were
    What I didnt know was what they looked like inside so I opened her up :P
    IMG_2676.jpg
    So sure enough I found me problem in the shape of this
    IMG_2672.jpg
    fecking hardened rivet just sheared dropping the fork into the bottom of the box
    IMG_2674.jpg
    So Il be reconditioning me own box,thank god thats all thats gone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

oh sounds like a dual mass to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Love the Smurf

I was warned about the dual mass flywheel going on these models, how much are we talking

itll be over a grand lad

common place now with them feckin flywheels in new diesels, worst offenders are Volkswagen golfs passats and boras, and the ford mondeo.

Thanks for the help lads, ill let ye know what the garage says

• Advertisement

keep ur arse clenched when ya get there lad:D:D:D good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

"I posted last week about buying a 2.0 A3 TDI.
    I bought the car private and collected it on tuesday"

Surely, you have a right to return the car (after two days of ownership) and get your money back?
    I don't know, but is this possible by law or not?
    Is it just dealers who have to stand over goods sold or is there a common law in affect?
    OP - I would check this out, if the problem is quite serious. I hope it is not and it is a simple fix, but just in case, you should cover yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

cadaliac wrote: »

Surely, you have a right to return the car (after two days of ownership) and get your money back?
    Is it just dealers who have to stand over goods sold or is there a common law in affect?
    OP - I would check this out, if the problem is quite serious. I hope it is not and it is a simple fix, but just in case, you should cover yourself.

The phrase 'Caveat emptor' exists for a reason. This was a private sale, there was no way the previous owner could have know about this impending failure. The buyer has just been very unlucky I'm afraid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Not if he bought it private. Buyer beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cadaliac wrote: »

Absolutely not for a private sale. Whenever I sell a car privately I explain this to the buyer and write it on the reciept. Mind, even if I didn't, it would still be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I posted last week about buying a 2.0 A3 TDI.
    I bought the car private and collected it on tuesday, handed over a cheque from the credit union and signed a sale agreement with the seller.

This morning I heard a spinning noise, almost like a siren going high pitched when I accelerated and low when I took my foot off. not very load, as in not as load as the engine. Slightly concerned.

Driving along the motorway, coming up to a toll booth, slowing down the gears went a bit funny, I pulled in, got it into gear, felt abit clunky and took off, now theres a scraping noise, im freaking out at this stage but drive on, come to traffic and as i come down the gears i get the scraping noise again and couldnt engage gears so i pull over, get it into gear and crawl to my car park.
    I rang the credit union and they say they cant cancel the cheque as it is not legal for them to do so as it has been handed over to the recipient.

Im now having to crawl it to a dealer to get whatever is wrong fixed. Im in bits here so go easy

Ah I remember the original post alright.Hopefully it's only something small (Doubt it though).

flywheel to be replaced and the turbo isnt the best either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Did you not get the car checked over by a decent mechanic before you bought it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I hate to say this, but we did tell you not to buy it with such an obvious fault. Caveat emptor and a lesson for the rest of us. Hope it's not too expensive.

• Advertisement

ah yeah thought as much, best advice here lad is to get as many quotes as ya can from differant garages, PM me the quote ya got and ill see if we can do it any better for ya if ya like. the garage is in kildare if ur not far ill do me best for ya. Try get ur hands on a 2nd hand turbo, save a few quid at least!
    cpoh1 wrote: »
    Did you not get the car checked over by a decent mechanic before you bought it?
    The problem with the dual mass flywheel is you dont really know its fecked untill its fecked alot of the time! I sold an 06 golf dsl not too long ago which seemed perfect going out the door but was back a week later with the same problem!
    Im not joking when i say they are a fcukin nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Try Walsh Motors in Belfast if you can drive it that far?

www.walshmotors.co.uk

Eugene comes highly recommended from users on here and users on vagdrivers.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The problem with the dual mass flywheel is you dont really know its fecked untill its fecked alot of the time! I sold an 06 golf dsl not too long ago which seemed perfect going out the door but was back a week later with the same problem!
    Im not joking when i say they are a fcukin nightmare!

The dual masses are one thing and thats really unfortunate but a faulty turbo should be bread and butter for your average mechanic. Either way i feel for the OP :o

To many people out there think buying a new diesel is the way forward but even with fuel and tax savings the potential for massive bills with normally reliable manufacturers like bmw, audi and ford needs to be considered!

cpoh1 wrote: »
    To many people out there think buying a new diesel is the way forward but even with fuel and tax savings the potential for massive bills with normally reliable manufacturers like bmw, audi and ford needs to be considered!
    defo, i think theres a lesson in this one! alot to be said for buyin a car from a dealer, that "few quid" ya save buyin private can come back to haunt ya!

Best of luck with it op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

defo, i think theres a lesson in this one! alot to be said for buyin a car from a dealer, that "few quid" ya save buyin private can come back to haunt ya!

I disagree. The lesson is don't buy a car with an obvious pre-existing fault, especially on a model known for that fault. Nothing to do with buying privately, the OP simply didn't do his research well enough. I've experienced that too on a lesser financial scale and it's a major pain. Also, get the potential purchase checked over by someone with experience on that car (A3/A4 in this case). The problem is that when we have the money a lot of us see a nice looking car and go 'Oooh! Shiny!' And that's it. Be prepared to override your emotions if needs be. A guy in the Bangernomics thread went to see a Saab during the week. Lovely car, all the bells and whistles but a nasty rattle underneath and sounded tappety. Result? No deal.

Advertisement