Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptics Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i always seem to have an issue with the word 'sceptic'.

heres how its described by Dr Ciaran O'Keeffe:
    Scepticism (or the US spelling – skepticism) is generally described as a doubting or questioning attitude. It can further be defined as follows:
    • It can be regarded as a philosophical stance in which one critically examines whether the knowledge and perceptions that they have are actually true, and whether or not one can ever be said to have absolutely true knowledge; or,
    • It can be a pragmatic position in which one questions the veracity of claims, and seeks to prove or disprove them using the scientific method.

I havent met very many self proclaimed 'sceptics' (outside those who know the difference between a sceptic and a cynic) who debate if it 'can ever be said to have absolutely true knowledge' (they usually say they know they know the answer for certain) or seek to 'to prove or disprove' the things they are sceptical of.

henceforth, technically i think you should have referred to that as the 'Cynics Anthem'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

maccored wrote: »
    i always seem to have an issue with the word 'sceptic'.

heres how its described by Dr Ciaran O'Keeffe:

I havent met very many self proclaimed 'sceptics' (outside those who know the difference between a sceptic and a cynic) who debate if it 'can ever be said to have absolutely true knowledge' (they usually say they know they know the answer for certain) or seek to 'to prove or disprove' the things they are sceptical of.

henceforth, technically i think you should have referred to that as the 'Cynics Anthem'

Probably not a good idea to listen to Ciaran O'Keeffe as to what is or isn't a skeptic. As the "official sceptic" on shows like Most Haunted he did a terrible job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Wicknight wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to listen to Ciaran O'Keeffe as to what is or isn't a skeptic. As the "official sceptic" on shows like Most Haunted he did a terrible job.

well in fairness surely therses a better word than skeptic to use even critical thinker as skeptic has been attached to things like round earth skeptics or holocaust skeptics

You know ciaran personally I presume to get such a perspective? He knows a f*uk load more than most on here if you ask me.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    well in fairness surely therses a better word than skeptic to use even critical thinker as skeptic has been attached to things like round earth skeptics or holocaust skeptics

I don't know, I like the term skeptic. I also use critical thinker. You can't really do anything about people taking words and twisting them.

• Advertisement

You know ciaran personally I presume to get such a perspective? He knows a f*uk load more than most on here if you ask me.

Why would I have to know him personally to know he did a piss poor job on Most Haunted?

You are the one quoting him, explain to me why we should care what he says about what a skeptic is?

Why would I have to know him personally to know he did a piss poor job on Most Haunted?

You are the one quoting him, explain to me why we should care what he says about what a skeptic is?

Because it would help for some of you to take some advice, some skeptics i would put into the category of true beliver, accepting evidence blindly or rejecting evidence blindly.

Because it would help for some of you to take some advice, some skeptics i would put into the category of true beliver, accepting evidence blindly or rejecting evidence blindly.

That is someone what self contradictory?

"Some skeptics" by who's definition of the word skeptic? I mean anyone can call themselves a skeptic, and you can call anyone you like a skeptic. Doesn't mean they are.

Saying you think some skeptics are being un-skeptical doesn't make sense. If they are then they aren't skeptics. If they claim to be skeptics but aren't then they are mis-using the term, and probably would continue to mis-use any any other term.

Replacing the term skeptic with critical thinker isn't going to change that, the term critical thinker would just end up being abused.

That is someone what self contradictory?

"Some skeptics" by who's definition of the word skeptic? I mean anyone can call themselves a skeptic, and you can call anyone you like a skeptic. Doesn't mean they are.

Saying you think some skeptics are being un-skeptical doesn't make sense. If they are then they aren't skeptics. If they claim to be skeptics but aren't then they are mis-using the term, and probably would continue to mis-use any any other term.

Replacing the term skeptic with critical thinker isn't going to change that, the term critical thinker would just end up being abused.

Ok then can you give me your version of the word skeptic?

you watch most haunted? i dont, but Ive had enough discussions with ciaran to know he's a damn good example of what a sceptic should be.

cus i happen to completely agree with him. far too many people dont know what the word means.

• Advertisement

I agree. some think a sceptic is the opposite of a 'believer', when thats really a cynic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A cynic is a detractor (negative), whereas a sceptic points out the cons to people who have already given expression to the pros. (neutral)

Sometimes a word crosses the Atlantic and then comes back here again with a more specific or slightly altered meaning. In such cases it can be useful to retain both forms. So Skeptic is more of a philosophy, whereas sceptical is a temporary stance.
    Similarly the word leverage when pronounced with an American accent indicates specifically a gamble with borrowed money, as opposed to using a long stick to shift a boulder.

Not sure what the Yanks would make of it all though. :)

'temporary stance' - i think that hits the nail on the head

Ok then can you give me your version of the word skeptic?

I think a skeptic is someone who requires claims and explanations to be backup with a body of evidence that supports the particular claim above other explanations in order to accept the particular claim or explanation as accurate.

Basically a skeptic is someone who does not take on face value claims supported merely by personal assessment, someone who follows and understands the philosophy of science particular the parts that touch on how we can know something is accurate.

This does not require "proving" something using the scientific method, since you can't do that.

you watch most haunted?

My ex-girlfriend did. And thus so did I. But that is a whole other issue .... :P
    i dont, but Ive had enough discussions with ciaran to know he's a damn good example of what a sceptic should be.

Fair enough. From what I've seen and read I disagree.
    cus i happen to completely agree with him. far too many people dont know what the word means.

Ask him how someone proves something with the scientific method.

I agree. some think a sceptic is the opposite of a 'believer', when thats really a cynic.

A cynic is someone who believes that humans are essentially bad and thus believe they are liars and frauds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism_(contemporary)

A cynic would believe someone is lying, a skeptic would simply believe that a claim has not been supported, why it has not been support is irrelevant (a person could be lying about what they saw, they could be mistaken, they could be correct but just not supported their position).

This idea that I've seen from a number of posters on this forum that a skeptic must invest time and energy into exploring the particular area of paranormal claims or they are a cynic is nonsense.

Being a skeptic does not require any action on the part of the skeptic. It is not being cynical to say a position is not supported, even if you do not put forward any other help in exploring the phenomena further or discovering theories that are supported.

The idea that an "unhelpful" skeptic is a cynic is a misuse of the terms. It is also rather unfair on the skeptic as whether they are helpful or not is largely in the eye of the believer, and based on their movtivations and belief that there must be something interesting to find in these phenomena.

A skeptic who does nothing but point out that a claim has not been support could claim they are being very helpful since a claim that has not reached a particular position of supported accuracy is no use to anyone. It is thus valid to point this out.

I think a skeptic is someone who requires claims and explanations to be backup with a body of evidence that supports the particular claim above other explanations in order to accept the particular claim or explanation as accurate.

Basically a skeptic is someone who does not take on face value claims supported merely by personal assessment, someone who follows and understands the philosophy of science particular the parts that touch on how we can know something is accurate.

This does not require "proving" something using the scientific method, since you can't do that.

As long, of course, as the sceptic in question is willing to give benefit of the doubt to ideas that require a bit of forward thinking, rather than state it cant happen as theres no proof, then I'd agree with you.

My ex-girlfriend did. And thus so did I. But that is a whole other issue .... :P

Fair enough. From what I've seen and read I disagree.

Ask him how someone proves something with the scientific method.

from another thread
    Scientific method

• There is no single, strict scientific method used by all scientists, a misconception popularized by elementary science textbooks. The rigid hypothesis→experiment→conclusion model of science is an important part of many fields, particularly basic sciences like physics and chemistry, but is not the only way to perform genuine science. Many sciences do not fit well into this mold, such as the observational sciences of astronomy or paleontology, or the abstract science of mathematics; and much important scientific work has come from curiosity and unguided exploration, for example, the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, or the development of the atomic force microscope.[120][121

If you can tell me no-one will ever discover a scientific method to aid paranormal research, then fair enough. That would sound a tad cynical of you, but each to their own.

I dont think anyone involved in paranormal research would claim there is a way to explain paranormal claims via the scientific method, but without study and research, there never will be much important scientific work has come from curiosity and unguided exploration[/B]]'. This is the goal of a lot of 'scientific' orientated research teams across the world.

In conclusion, Im wondering what you were aiming at with your question, considering the answer is quite obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

i genuinely roared laughing when I logged on here for the first time in ages and found maccored touting the difference between a skeptic and a cynic.....AGAIN!

thanks for clearing that up for us mate :rolleyes:

leddpipe wrote: »
    i genuinely roared laughing when I logged on here for the first time in ages and found maccored touting the difference between a skeptic and a cynic.....AGAIN!

well laughing generally is the skeptic anthem, it gets them out of thinking, providing alternitive explanations and often looking at evidence

• Advertisement

yeah? Its a bit unfortunate it takes so long to get the point across. Are you the same ledpipe I was on an investigation with once? I dropped you off somewhere round the curragh? If it was, you didnt sound like such a sm*rta*se then.

yeah? Its a bit unfortunate it takes so long to get the point across.

Man if their anything thing like some of the skeptics i have met in my field then dogmatisim will be very much the order of the day/

each to their own I suppose.

yeah? Its a bit unfortunate it takes so long to get the point across. Are you the same ledpipe I was on an investigation with once? I dropped you off somewhere round the curragh? If it was, you didnt sound like such a sm*rta*se then.

that's me horse!i was quite interested in your stories actually!thats probably why i wasn't being a "smartarse", although i dont recall being one lately either. plus, you weren't so condescending back then, at least not to me!

well laughing generally is the skeptic anthem, it gets them out of thinking, providing alternitive explanations and often looking at evidence

swing and a miss spaghettieddy :D

swing and a miss spaghettieddy :D

Well feel free to counter my opinion or just throw some quip at me so you dont have to think really

..... although i dont recall being one lately either. plus, you weren't so condescending back then, at least not to me!

I'm sorry if you think Im condescending, but this:
    Originally Posted by leddpipe viewpost.gif

thanks for clearing that up for us mate rolleyes.gif
    .. didnt really add to the conversation.

Plus all you really said was Ive mentioned the cynic v sceptic debate before. Its the insinuation used by the word 'touting', yet you dont come right out and explain what you mean by that, that gave me the impression you were being a smartarse. What makes you laugh is your own business.

Please excuse me if I misread your post.

oh by the way - if you had these kind of debates with me in real life, you'd get the same kind of responses. As I mentioned, you didn't. Glad you enjoyed the 'stories'.

Well feel free to counter my opinion or just throw some quip at me so you dont have to think really

i dont come on boards to flex my intellectual e-muscles sport,unlike some people!

quip-y enough for ya? :P

• Advertisement

Please excuse me if I misread your post.

apology accepted!

Advertisement