Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wear...

Options
  • 29-07-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Under your wetsuit :D

I tried out some little sports shorts but they irritated me.

What if anything do you wear under your wetsuit?

Someone reccomended cycling shorts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

cycling shorts have a very absorbent chamois that will collect a lot of water. lycra running shorts would probably be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Under a wetsuit, you go commando....

But if you are kayaking your prob best off not wearing a wetsuit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Why so? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Wetsuits tend not to be designed for sitting in (Unlike bicycle shorts which have extra material round the arse that stops them riding down when in psoition). Long john wetsuits can be restrictive over the shoulders as they are designed for standing or swimming. THis can make it hard to lean forward in a boat or can affect your ability to move your body position for edging. Full sleeve wetsuits again aren't designed for sitting and are also very restrictive around the shoulder making it harder to move in.

Ideal solution tends to be neoprene trousers or shorts that are made for sitting in, combined with a good cag and thermals.

Truley wrote: »
    Why so? :confused:

Hi,

There was one of the reasons outlined above as to why wetsuits aren't ideal for kayaking due to their cut, this would not be a thing I have against them as some of the better manufactured wetsuits are quiet well cut and very flexible.

The reason I would not wear a wetsuit kayaking (not Sit On Top) is that neoprene only works properly to keep you warm when it is wet. When its dry it can irritate the skin at areas of friction. You can wear a "rash vest" to try reduce this but it doesn't sort out the full issue.

Most proficient kayakers who paddle white water or touring boats tend to favor totally dry gear or splash wear if they know they won't be getting wet.

Racers tend to prefer the more minimal approach wearing just enough to stop them freezing.

Adrian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Most proficient kayakers who paddle white water or touring boats tend to favor totally dry gear or splash wear if they know they won't be getting wet.

Racers tend to prefer the more minimal approach wearing just enough to stop them freezing.

Adrian

Ah but what about non proficient paddlers? Where you know they are going to take a swim and get wet. I wouldn't be to keen on taking a beginner out on a river in 'splash wear' or asking them to invest in a dry suit. A wetsuit can be restricting but they're not that bad, at least no more than being soaking wet and cold is. I still regularly wear on in winter or out in surf.

Hi Truley,

There are no real right or wrong answers with this one, I would say that if you are just doing a splash and dash session or a small series of lessons with some one the wetsuit option works well.

If someone plans on staying with the sport on a more full time basis I would encourage them to get the best quality gear they could reasonably afford.

So horses for courses and all that but wetsuits are not an ideal long term solution.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i am a reasonably profficiant paddler, and i still wear my wetsuit sometimes. at times when i KNOW i am going to get wet. this is usually surfing. my surf kayak leaks like a leaky thing, and i have yet to find dry gear that keeps you dry in surf, so i just try stay warm instead. (also, cag rash from latex seals/ salty water is suck.) so, to above, everyone is right! :D

to OP question; when surfing i wear a thermal top, longjohn wetsuit (a 15 year old odare job) and a semidry top.
    rivers i wear thermals, waterproof pants (hillwalking ones) and dry top.
    for cruising flat water where i am not going upside down and it is a nice day, thermals and shorts.
    there is no "right" answer, but if you are at a level where you are asking if you need a wetsuit, best to err on the side of caution perhaps, and say yes. but really, there is any permutation of gear combination.

then there is the age old chestnut of is it a good idea for people still swimming on rivers to use dry suits, what with the ripping potential, turning them into sea anchors, or the not venting them factor turning them into baloons, all inhibiting a swimmers movement? this is an old old debate. again, with no right or wrong answers, but lots of great swim stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Under a wetsuit, you go commando....

So you suggest going naked?? :P

To answer the OPs question, generally i wear lycra shorts and a thermal under my long john wetsuit . . .the thermal is just to keep my arms warm! often a cag over that too . . .

Advertisement