Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

scrappage 2010: renault clio or skoda fabia?

Options
  • 29-07-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Heya,
    Am going for a scrappage on our aging Micra, trying to choose between the Clio or the Fabia.
    My concerns about Fabia: heard from one garage that the waiting time could be anything up to January 2011!
    Concerns about the Clio: Renault don't exactly have best reliability record ;)

Quoted 14,400 for 1.5tdci on the Clio, chasing quotes still for Fabia

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,
    lamps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

lampsie wrote: »
    Heya,
    Am going for a scrappage on our aging Micra, trying to choose between the Clio or the Fabia.
    My concerns about Fabia: heard from one garage that the waiting time could be anything up to January 2011!

Thanks,
    lamps

Can't the megane be got for 15k these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Clio all the way . The Fabia diesel isn't even in the same league. Horrible noisy little car. :(

Skodas used to be great when they were built better than VWs and sold cheaper. Now they cost real money and just about everything in that class is better i.e Fiesta , Clio , 207 , Corsa etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Heya,

Thanks,
    lamps

Have you considered the Seat Ibiza 1.2tdi (it's the same engine as the Bluemotion Polo, 72MPG, or 80MPG for the eco version). Newer design, newer engine, and the one beliow comes with some nice extra's

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Ibiza/1.2-Dies/201028198826602/advert?channel=CARS

scrappage price from 11,900 - probably for a non metallic 3dr version, 5dr will be under 13,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I would agree, get the Clio

The current (Mark 2) Fabia is no real improvement on the mark 1 (if anything the older one is better looking)

Its slightly older also, I think they came out on 2008, I think the current clio is brand new?

And the previous poster is correct, the new crop of super-minis are somewhat ahead of the Fabia, technically and looks wise. eg: Fiesta, Seat Ibiza et all

Skoda still has a lot of "bang for your buck" with the Octavia & Superb. But I really think they made some bad design & pricing decisions with the current Fabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Actually, the current clio was launched back in 2005, there was only a facelift lately.

Saab Ed, which engine are you talking about specifically? If its the 1.4 tdi you speak of, it is gone, been replaced by a 75 bhp 1.2 CR TDi, the other engines have been replaced by 90 and 105 bhp versions of the 1.6 CR TDi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Not sure what spec model your were quoted on but just bought a 1.5dci 5 door Tomtom for €14,600 with scrappage, no other dealer could come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Not sure what spec model your were quoted on but just bought a 1.5dci 5 door Tomtom for €14,600 with scrappage, no other dealer could come close.

If you didn't mind, sending PM for the garage! My quote (in fairness with no haggling, just a tyre kicking) was for the Dynamique which is one spec level below the TomTom :)

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Can't the megane be got for 15k these days?

Many thanks for the input :) Tried a test drive in the 1.5tdci Megane, to be honest found it to be not massively roomier than the Clio given the price premium...not sure if others found similar

How long had you planned on keeping this car OP, resale values should probably also be taken into account. So you could get a diesel clio dynamique for 14400€ or a megane diesel royale for 14800€? Tough one....

http://www.renault.ie/cars/newclio/clioprices.html

odd, says in this page its the tom tom one you should be getting?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    How long had you planned on keeping this car OP, resale values should probably also be taken into account. So you could get a diesel clio dynamique for 14400€ or a megane diesel royale for 14800€? Tough one....

http://www.renault.ie/cars/newclio/clioprices.html

odd, says in this page its the tom tom one you should be getting?

Planning on keeping the car for as long as it will go :) So, not overly worried about depreciation (expecting and accepting it to be worth 40% in 3-4 years).
    The 14,400 includes metallic and delivery (not included on the renault.ie site). Clearly though there is value to be found, based on Stevie's reply above so I reckon I can get that 14,400 down a good bit by shopping around.

thanks all for the replies so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Don't forget the option to upgrade the warranty to 5 years, well worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Fabia, Fabia, Fabia all the way, not pretty but it'll get under your skin and into your heart for its reliability and just simple pleasurable ease of use day after day, month after month, year after year. Our Fabia is coming up on 8 years old and still just truckin along. but the Renault will break your heart with niggly problems. No good having a 5 yr warranty if you're taking the car back every other week for something else to be fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Fabia, Fabia, Fabia all the way, not pretty but it'll get under your skin and into your heart for its reliability and just simple pleasurable ease of use day after day, month after month, year after year. Our Fabia is coming up on 8 years old and still just truckin along. but the Renault will break your heart with niggly problems. No good having a 5 yr warranty if you're taking the car back every other week for something else to be fixed
    You're several years out of date with that opinion., The Clio has been more reliable than the Fabia for a few years
    http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/Pannenstatistik_2009/Kleinwagen/Kleinwagen.asp?ComponentID=288964&SourcePageID=288970

The Clio also has a higher EuroNCAP rating and the 5 year *unlimited mileage* warranty is way better than Skoda's crap warranty.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    You're several years out of date with that opinion., The Clio has been more reliable than the Fabia for a few years
    http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/Pannenstatistik_2009/Kleinwagen/Kleinwagen.asp?ComponentID=288964&SourcePageID=288970

The Clio also has a higher EuroNCAP rating and the 5 year *unlimited mileage* warranty is way better than Skoda's crap warranty.

As I've said already re warranty, there's no point in having a 5 yr warranty if you're constantly using it, I'd rather have a car that never needed the warranty in the first place and I'd seriously question the Clio's reliability being better than a Skoda's? not on your nelly.
    JD POWER survey anyone?

I'd seriously question the Clio's reliability being better than a Skoda's? not on your nelly.
    JD POWER survey anyone?

Clio is a far stronger car than the modern Fabia. MK I Fabia was a very good car but the current one isn't that great. Second generation Fabias are not liked in the trade because of them being problematic and the fact that they just aint great sellers , its a poor product all in all.

Like I said in my original post , the current Fabia is bettered by nearly everything in the class. And just to prove that im not biased ( Im a Renault salesman :D ) I'd buy the Fiesta if it was my own money before I'd buy a Clio. ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Clio is a far stronger car than the modern Fabia. MK I Fabia was a very good car but the current one isn't that great. Second generation Fabias are not liked in the trade because of them being problematic and the fact that they just aint great sellers , its a poor product all in all.

Like I said in my original post , the current Fabia is bettered by nearly everything in the class. And just to prove that im not biased ( Im a Renault salesman :D ) I'd buy the Fiesta if it was my own money before I'd buy a Clio. ;)

With all due respect, the Clio is not "far stronger" than the Fabia, the only reason it has one more NCAP star is it has more airbags than Fabia and this is down to politics within the VW Group. Clio is a very old design with a facelift.
    The only reason the Fabia II is a poor seller is its styling, witness the fact that the Combi version outsells the hatch 4 to 1.
    The Fabia is a typical Skoda mechanically and structurally, tough as nails and bullet proof.
    Neither of these cars are top of the group but the Fabia is the better car in almost every area.
    We won't replace ours with a Fabia II, more than likely it'll be a Yeti next.
    Also, AFAIK, with scrappage, you can get into a Fabia for less than €12500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have a Fabia I, I would not buy the Fabia II as it looks smaller than the old Fabia. Space(along with the mechanical factors) is important in my eyes. If the OP had a few more grand in the budget, Octavia would win hands down in the choice stakes.

With all due respect, the Clio is not "far stronger" than the Fabia, the only reason it has one more NCAP star is it has more airbags than Fabia and this is down to politics within the VW Group. Clio is a very old design with a facelift.
    The only reason the Fabia II is a poor seller is its styling, witness the fact that the Combi version outsells the hatch 4 to 1.
    The Fabia is a typical Skoda mechanically and structurally, tough as nails and bullet proof.
    Neither of these cars are top of the group but the Fabia is the better car in almost every area.
    We won't replace ours with a Fabia II, more than likely it'll be a Yeti next.
    Also, AFAIK, with scrappage, you can get into a Fabia for less than €12500.

We're going around in circles here .....

I didnt mean it was far stronger as in body strength ( I ment tougher all round ) but now that you've brought it up ....eh ..... it does have a better NCAP result , dont care why but it does . 1 -0 Clio

And you say its a bad seller because of the " styling " . So we agree , its not a good looking car . 2-0 Clio.

ADAC proves that the current Clio is more reliable than the Fabia 3-0 Clio

Last but not least you can buy a Clio for 10 grand on the a scrappage deal , some two and a half grand cheaper than the worse looking , not as safe , less reliable Fabia that comes with an inferior warranty. 4-0 , we have a winner. :D

I dont mind debating the facts but when an OP ask a question atleast be objective with your replies , clearly something you're not given that you seem to be having a love afair with your Fabia. Fabia isn't a bad car , its just that the Clio is better and as I said a Fiesta blows them all away ;)

With all due respect, the Clio is not "far stronger" than the Fabia, the only reason it has one more NCAP star is it has more airbags than Fabia and this is down to politics within the VW Group.
    Wrong, the Clio and Fabia tested had the same number of airbags. The Fabia had a poorer score mainly because of marginal protection for the driver's and passenger's legs in a frontal impact.
    Read the ADAC report I linked to, the Fabia is less reliable than the Clio. That's based on actual data as opposed to pub talk bullsh*t
    I'd seriously question the Clio's reliability being better than a Skoda's? not on your nelly.
    Good argument :rolleyes:

So to sum up the Clio has better safety, a far better warranty, better reliability, better ride comfort and refinement and that's before you get into subjective aspects like styling etc. So no, the Fabia is not the "better car in almost every area"

Firstly, its not my Fab, its the wifes. I drive an Octavia.
    Secondly, the world and his wife knows that Skoda equals reliability and solid build and Renault equals French flair and French electrics and French dodgy build quality so you just keep banging your Renault drum.
    I have a friend who traded in her 99 Skoda for a new Megane and now cries herself to sleep every night for her stupidity as the megane has been back to the dealer umpteen times for repairs to electrical problems, steering rack failure and dashboard rattles.
    End of.

• Advertisement

Secondly, the world and his wife knows that Skoda equals reliability and solid build and Renault equals French flair and French electrics and French dodgy build quality so you just keep banging your Renault drum.
    I have a friend who traded in her 99 Skoda for a new Megane and now cries herself to sleep every night for her stupidity as the megane has been back to the dealer umpteen times for repairs to electrical problems, steering rack failure and dashboard rattles.
    End of.

.... so we're not talking about a Clio then !!!!!

You're going around in circles here :D:D:D

3656780000_e68b1dd340.jpg

Secondly, the world and his wife knows that Skoda equals reliability and solid build and Renault equals French flair and French electrics and French dodgy build quality
    I'll trust my own personal experience with Renaults and will listen to the ADAC before I'll listen to the world and his wife (or the dogs on the street for that matter)
    I have a friend who traded in her 99 Skoda for a new Megane and now cries herself to sleep every night for her stupidity
    Somehow I doubt that. When someone has to wildly exaggerate to try to make their point, it usually means they don't have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

End of.

So you're a Skoda fanboy and know someone who had a bad Renault, I think your opinion can be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

SaabEd, is there a new clio coming out anytime soon?

ed: oh and andrew, the world and his wife don't know shít about anything!

thanks to all for the input, really appreciated :)
    Putting aside the Fabia; on the Fiesta vs Clio, I would expect the Fiesta has a much better driving experience, but based on prices I've seen its likely going to be a 1500-2000 premium for the same spec over the Clio. Would I be right, or am I looking at duff figures :)

Cheers,
    lamps

I make no apologies for being a Skoda fan, owners are a smug bunch who appreciate the qualities of a great car. And the girl I know doesn't cry herself to sleep (anymore) but she deeply regrets getting rid of her 10 year old Skoda for a new Megane (which is at the moment waiting on a new power steering pump). She bought the Megane with her heart instead of her head but such is life. I couldn't care less what the OP does with his hard earned but the Fabia bashing here is unwarranted and just proves how ignorant of Skoda's qualities the majority of ye are;)

Fabia bashing here is unwarranted and just proves how ignorant of Skoda's qualities the majority of ye are;)

Well im not Fabia bashing , im just being objective by using my 20 years of motor trade experience ;) What are your reference points !!!!!

Anyway this is helping the OP. The Fiesta is only arond about a year , the Clio is due for replacemnt in about 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 super106

13800 for fabia 1.6 TDI 75 BHP
    14500 FOR FABIA 1.6 TDI 90 BHP TAX 104

TOP SPEC 15400 FABIA ELEGANCE,

GREAT MACHINES

In my opinion, when judging a car's mechanical reliability, i have a clear opinion every time theres a new engine, and thats certainly the case with a new fabia diesel. It now has the same 1.6 CR TDi as the polo, golf and octavia do. Now i'm not making any claims here but that engine is pretty important for the VAG group in the next couple of years so i'd be pretty surprised if it did'nt turn out to be as reliable if not better than the old 1.9 PD. It would have been in VAG's absolute best interests that that engine was going to be as reliable as possible.

I know its still a very new engine, only been in production for less than a year, but i have a friend who works in a skoda garage and there have been no horror stories yet i'm happy to hear.

And as well, someone made a reference to the fabia being "noisy" earlier in this thread. The Mk1 fabia was much praised for being a refined little car, and iirc, initial reviews of the current model said it managed the same, and whats more if the noisy comment was in relation to the older PD engines, be assured the new 1.6 CR's are way quieter

I'm not telling the OP to buy either car here but saying to be open minded about it. Have a go in both cars, the fiesta too obviously and see what it feels like to drive and be in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Clio, no question. Fabia is a dumpy, ugly little thing based on that toad of cars, the Polo.

Advertisement