Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining your stick

Options
  • 29-07-2010 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all i'm just looking for some pointers on maintaining my stick. I have caused this stick since I got it many moons ago, the sticker on the base says 96. I hadn't used it in years and it was jammed in 2 box never to be taken out again only for people sayin it was worth taking back out and gettin an inpin for it. Any way I digress, I was at the casuals Yesterday and kiki said I needed to do something about it, he mentioned lubricant, that got a laugh "what you need to do is lube your stick". He also said to start a thread on it. So any pointers i'll welcome, i've never opened my stick kev alone modded it so basic, easy info is what i'm after. Cheers lads!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Don't worry about kiki, he wants to lube everyones stick.

;)

What type of stick is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I maintain my stick by beating the **** out of it

Bush80 wrote: »
    I maintain my stick by beating the **** out of it

Before or after kiki lubes it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Before or after kiki lubes it?

I do my own lubing thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To lubricate your joystick, you use silicone grease, NEVER petroleum-based lubricants (e.g. WD-40).
    I got mine in the Outdoor store (water section), but I'm not 100% it's the right one. It's ok though. On SRK they recommend "plumber's grease", but the important thing is that it MUST be a silicone-based lubricant.

To take the stick apart, all you need to do is get a small flat-head screwdriver and remove the E-ring at the bottom of the shaft.
    jlf_b.jpg

Then you can take the shaft out, and apply a small amount of lubricant to the pivot, and put it back in.
    jlf_xp.jpg

To fit the E-ring back onto the shaft, it helps to have a pliers handy.

*edit*
    Other things to consider:
    New spring.
    New joystick microswitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

What exactly is wrong with it? Is there some scraping or something? If you don't notice anything wrong then i wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

He's using a Namco stick, and when I tried it yesterday I found that it occasionally doesn't register diagonals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    He's using a Namco stick, and when I tried it yesterday I found that it occasionally doesn't register diagonals.

Ah sure well then he should just sell it to me and move on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Should we lube our TEs regularly to prevent from them from failing to register inputs in the future, or should this only be done if it already appears to be going wrong?

Also Kneecaps was laughing at me for bringing my TE box in with me, so it doesn't take any knocks while I'm walking through town/on a Dublin Bike; and said the best thing I could do to keep my stick working was to not let chunkis use it.

True/False?

(I had failed to do this since my TE was the player 1 side for the 3S tourney).

Should we lube our TEs regularly to prevent from them from failing to register inputs in the future, or should this only be done if it already appears to be going wrong?

Also Kneecaps was laughing at me for bringing my TE box in with me, so it doesn't take any knocks while I'm walking through town/on a Dublin Bike; and said the best thing I could do to keep my stick working was to not let chunkis use it.

True/False?

(I had failed to do this since my TE was the player 1 side for the 3S tourney).

Sure he didn't say unky chop chop?

I haven't seen Chunkis do anything bad to a stick other than fling one down in frustration.

Which I am pretty sure we've all done at some point.

My TE travels in a 17 inch (I need it that big to cover my stick) laptop bag. Never a bother on it.

TBH when the stick starts failing I'll prob just buy a new one as I like the feeling of a new sanwa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Sure he didn't say unky chop chop?

Yes i am the mashmaster.I treat my sticks like my women..they deserve a slap every now and then and after you finished getting your enjoyment from them and they are a shell of their former self you can just get a new one.

I've gone through 3 fightpads and in the last 6 months since I've got my TE I've had 2 buttons go and had 2 replace the spring 3 times to keep it in optimum condition.

Yes i am the mashmaster.I treat my sticks like my women..they deserve a slap every now and then and after you finished getting your enjoyment from them and they are a shell of their former self you can just get a new one.

I've gone through 3 fightpads and in the last 6 months since I've got my TE I've had 2 buttons go and had 2 replace the spring 3 times to keep it in optimum condition.

And just like women, that's the exact reason you're never getting your hands on my TE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Your stick hasn't lived yet Doom. Won't you let it live!
    All this back-forward ,up-down charging makes it feel underused and unloved.
    It wants to be like all the other sticks..busting out qtr circles,DP's and what not.

By jasus if i got me hands on it i'd show it a good time

**I realise how bad that last statement looks***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xXbacchusXx

Thanks kiki for the help and cheers to everyone else for their constructive comments!

Your stick hasn't lived yet Doom. Won't you let it live!
    All this back-forward ,up-down charging makes it feel underused and unloved.
    It wants to be like all the other sticks..busting out qtr circles,DP's and what not.

By jasus if i got me hands on it i'd show it a good time

**I realise how bad that last statement looks***

My work here is done. *Nods*

Advertisement