Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 euro VRT rate

Options
  • 28-07-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

As from the 1st of January 2011, the 50 euro rate will no longer be available on Motorhomes. What a shame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

First I have heard of that. Will that mean that campers over 3 tonne already registered will become more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Maybe they will. Now is the time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

where did you get this info from,news to me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bluejeans

Hi there, does anyone have any info on who is good and reasonable for an inspection engineers report on older campervans as required now by insurance company? This seems to have created a new "market" for overcharging for these reports. The AA quoted me over 300 euro today for one! Outrageous rip-off. I see a place called the M50 Truck and Van Centre charging nearly the same. Help - I'm on the southside near Sandyford if anyone can advise.. Thanks. That's a real shame about the VRT of 50 nabbed for MHomes over 3K... it's relentless in Ireland. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Any SIMI mechanic can do it, mine did a full service on my van and the report at the same time, you 100% don't need to go anywhere special once they are SIMI registered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bluejeans

That's good to know thanks. I did go in y'day to the small SIMI reg'd Sandyford Motors but they said they couldn't do it as they don't have a special ramp to test the brakes - like they have at NCT centres he meant. He seemed to think it more complicated than your experience with your mechanic. Unfortunately I did have it serviced with a small-time mechanic down the country last week but he's not a SIMI one. Is your mechanic anywhere near the southside? - mind you I'd go wherever if he at least knew what this thing is about. If you have a tel and you don';t mind I'd like to give him a ring? Thanks again for the info.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bessa

Have you any source for this?
    Are they doing away with the 50 Euro VRT for commercials over 3 tons as well or are they going to re-classify motorhomes into a different category?

I believe its another chalk up for the Greens, and the rate is to be 13.5%. We do not have the choice of Motorhomes to buy that other countries have. Just another kick in the teeth for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

peasant wrote: »
    Bessa

Have you any source for this?
    Are they doing away with the 50 Euro VRT for commercials over 3 tons as well or are they going to re-classify motorhomes into a different category?

Check out http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/index.html and it's the bottom document "Non-statutory consolidation of primary and secondary Legislation", there appears to be a few changes appearing in 2011.

If somebody could please translate it into plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

It appears that the new rate is for a vehicle that does not have any E.U. certification and from what I saw the "C" rate is still the same unless someone has the time to read it all!!

• Advertisement

As far as i know its the B rate of 13.5% that will apply to all imported Motorhomes, from January 2011. There is also some mention of emissions from Jan. also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Can anyone explain why a motorhome/campervan 3 or 4 times heavier than my 2 berth 'van and therefore is harder on the roads and possibly the environment, has always had a VRT rate of just 50 euro ?.
    Most governments try to squeeze as much as possible from the tax payers.

I've yet to hear an explanation for this.

Advertisement