Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats in my roof

Options
  • 28-07-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Ok so I want them out, but they're protected.

What do I do?

I really really cannot live with bats in my attic.

I'm afraid to contact the Parks board in case they come declare my house a protected area!

Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ok so I want them out, but they're protected.

What do I do?

I really really cannot live with bats in my attic.

I'm afraid to contact the Parks board in case they come declare my house a protected area!

Help!
    Bats don't usually hibernate in houses, so during winter block up the entry.

Bat Conservation Ireland
    in case you haven't looked through it. You'll probably find the info I've just given...well the first part :)

You will get the predictable replies that are in all bats in house threads of why tolerate them etc....and considering this is a nature forum and we are usually proactive in conserving our native wildlife I would like to hear why you'd like them out and why you cannot live with them in your attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

I have a bit of a phobia. I think I would be fine if they were not over my bedroom - if they were over the garage or something. But I wake up thinking I see them, you probably wouldn't understand.

Thanks for the website, it's helpful. I will ring them and they will be able to offer some advice. Maybe I can rehouse them somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have a bit of a phobia. I think I would be fine if they were not over my bedroom - if they were over the garage or something. But I wake up thinking I see them, you probably wouldn't understand.

Thanks for the website, it's helpful. I will ring them and they will be able to offer some advice. Maybe I can rehouse them somewhere.
    You're right, I don't understand though I've seen how phobias can dominate one's life, but still beyond my understanding though no problem understanding lack of sleep!

From the little I know, there is no hope of moving them.
    They are wild animals and they probably have young. This is most likely to be a maternity roost. But by all means contact the folks that are more in the know. I'm just spelling out that you may not hear what you really desire.

If this is the case and bear in mind I've no idea of your domestic situation, but is it possible to move yourself to temporary sleeping quarters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Dont go for holidays in the Polish countryside so, we were there and from dusk onwards you have bats flying a couple of foot above your head ducking and diving like swallows, and very very fast. Pretty cool to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

A bat flew into our living room last night as we were watching TV! We were all delighted, as the number of bats around our house seem to have decreased over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Dont go for holidays in the Polish countryside so, we were there and from dusk onwards you have bats flying a couple of foot above your head ducking and diving like swallows, and very very fast. Pretty cool to watch

Try Australia. Large flocks of large flying foxes/fruit bats, and right in city centres too. Class sight.

A9B5A18DB1AC4658B499BD682CFA601C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've been getting bats in the attic for past four years....would it be the same family that returns every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Im not sure ive even used the correct term for this but is it common to see a flock of bats around this time of year, the last few night ive noticed this between half nine and ten o clock, and around 30 or 40 of them!

Advertisement