Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you Sync you Contact D.O.B. to your calendar to show birthday reminders?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just got a HTC legend and I love it. Best phone i ever had.

I am just wondering, can the contact Date Of Birth be sync'd to the calendar to automatically give you a notification on their birthday, as it use to on my old SE T650i

Or is there a widget to do this, such as Pure Grid Calendar?

Cheers
    V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

In the google calendar website, go to Settings page. Select Calendars tab. Select "Browse Interesting Calendars" from towards the bottom right of the page. Go to the "More" tab. Subscribe to the "Contacts' birthdays and events" calendar.

Then, it should be automatically synced with the calendar app.

(Copy pasted from here http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=33c3b34bf380dd90&hl=en)

Works on my Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

EGriff wrote: »
    In the google calendar website, go to Settings page. Select Calendars tab. Select "Browse Interesting Calendars" from towards the bottom right of the page. Go to the "More" tab. Subscribe to the "Contacts' birthdays and events" calendar.

Then, it should be automatically synced with the calendar app.

(Copy pasted from here http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=33c3b34bf380dd90&hl=en)

Works on my Desire.

Is that the Calendar that comes standard, or a new Widget i need to download?

I'm using the standard calendar.

To get to the settings page go into gmail on your pc then click calendar in the top left and then click settings on the top right.

It seems to have added all my friends facebook events too. :rolleyes:

I think i wasnt clear in my original post. Its the contacts from the "People" in my address book on my phone that I want to sync with my email widget, not the contacts in my email. Is this the same process as above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

you can sync the contacts in your "People" to your google account. Then you set up the calendar widget to use your google account as well and the steps mentioned above will work.

• Advertisement

It only shows the birthdays of contacts I've linked to Facebook. If I manually add a birthday in the people app it doesn't show in the calendar. Can't find how to sync them with my Google account either.

Go "People" "Menu" "Import" "Import from SIM" The select Google

this will import your google contacts to your phone.

i should point out that i have my google contacts synced with my phone but i didnt do the steps above to get reminders about the birthdays on calendar. I'm just assuming that part works.

But i know for sure you can sync your google contacts to your phone.

Is there a way to export your phone contacts to your Google account?

Yeah the above method works for Facebook linked contacts anyway. I'm using a 2. 2 Rom but doubt that makes a difference.

i think if you have a contact on your phone and you set up google contact sync it should do that for you.

not 100% on that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

There is a free application called EboBirthday Contact Sync, I think that might do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

There's a bug in the way Google syncs contacts
    birthdays. If you add a birthday to a contact via the web it won't come down to your phone.

I've found you have to set the Calendar not to sync and then back to sync if you get me.

pts wrote: »
    There is a free application called EboBirthday Contact Sync, I think that might do what you want.

Looked at the reviews and there werent great for that, so will wait to see if I can find other options.

long_b wrote: »
    There's a bug in the way Google syncs contacts
    birthdays. If you add a birthday to a contact via the web it won't come down to your phone.

I've found you have to set the Calendar not to sync and then back to sync if you get me.

Ok ill play about with the sync a bit more and see if it works.

Advertisement