Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kayak is for what? (brief intro)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

PS:
    If someone wants to break the river running boats down further please go ahead. Also I didn't even start on the Canoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Sea kayak:
    image1.jpg

surf ski kayak
    vlie+08+076.JPG

wave ski kayak:
    wave-ski-slidemaster.jpg

wavehopper kayak
    prodwhopper.jpg

k boats (k1, k2, k4 etc)
    k1-kayak.jpg

canoepolo boat
    3890.jpg

playboat / creek boat / river running
    fluid_flirt.jpg

Slalom Boat
    slalom_kayak.jpeg

Sit-on-Top
    1162491.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

A wavehopper is not a category of boat.
    It's a model of plastic boat made by perception kayaks , same way you get a pyranha molan or dagger nomad. You don't see a creekboat and go there's a nomad.

The wavehopper falls under the category of wildwater racing boat,or it's sometimes called downriver racing.

The wavehopper was produced to encourage people to try wildwater racing without the fear of breaking a fibreglass/carbon/kevlar racing kayak. They are also more stable and shorter than their composite equivalents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

To add to what multi sport said:

Wavehoppers dont come in glass or plastic. Wild water racing boats come in Kevlar/carbon/glass and a wavehopper is a plastic version of them.

Also, Wavehoppers can race in General Purpose class for the liffey descent, but not for any other Irish marathon race.

Another way of describing a surfski is as a K1 for the sea/ a sit on top K1. Emphasis on it not being for beginners!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

true but most people I know refer to the type (not material subtype) as wavehoppers. Just as I get out the hoover not the vacuum cleaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Possibly most of the people you know are actually paddling wavehoppers and don't have knowledge of other ww race boats.
    I think we might have to put an education program in place:)

The wavehopper could be claimed to be a totally different boat. It's 50cm shorter and 7+kg heavier.

There's also another plastic ww raceboat, it's called a fastwave, I think it's a French design, the distinction is important.

If a beginner would like to get into racing I'd highly recommend the wavehopper though, they're super stable and very forgiving.

Here's a picture of one of the more popular composite raceboats, the zastera clipper.
    40.jpg

multisport wrote: »
    A wavehopper is not a category of boat.
    It's a model of plastic boat made by perception kayaks , same way you get a pyranha molan or dagger nomad. You don't see a creekboat and go there's a nomad.

The wavehopper falls under the category of wildwater racing boat,or it's sometimes called downriver racing.

Point taken and changed above.

I did say it was a beginners guide and I don't know of any club with a plastic WW boat other than a wavehopper. Hence why it got top billing. But unlike your creek boat example people not in the WW world (the majority) see a WW boat and call it a wavehopper. I did myself for years.

And I wouldn't tell a Surfski paddler it is a sit on top K1 :D They might call a WW boat a wavehopper. :D:D:D

Anything else we can add? Anyone willing to class the canoes? I have only ever been in a C2 slalom boat and have no idea how to break them down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Ill break down the canoes. give me afew days and ill have more time ill get it together.

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

pmccormack wrote: »
    Ill break down the canoes. give me afew days and ill have more time ill get it together.

Great thanks

ICF have defined a surfski as:

A Surfski is a long, narrow, lightweight kayak with an open (sit-on-top) cockpit, usually with a foot pedal controlled rudder. They are generally 5-6.5m (16½-21ft) long and just 40-50cm (16-20") wide.
    In complete contrast to the shorter boats we see in Canoe Slalom and Canoe Freestyle, Surfskis are not very manoeuvrable, yet in the right hands the boat can cut through large broken waves with ease.
    Some boats are made from polyethylene but much lighter versions (and more expensive) are made from composite layers of epoxy or polyester resin-bonded cloth such as fibreglass, kevlar, carbon fibre or a mixture. Depending on its use, the number of layers can be increased (for added strength) or decreased (for a lighter craft).

Advertisement