Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Mint on TCDWifi?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a netbook thats running full xp at the mo and its pretty slow... I need something to be able to bring to the library and work on there for basic word processing (I'm using open office anyway) and web browsing/getting journal articles... Has anyone been using Mint or any other distro on the college network, and if so, are the easy enough to set up on the network? I want to speed up the netbook so was considering migration... full xp is a bit bloated on that little thing!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

zoegh wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have a netbook thats running full xp at the mo and its pretty slow... I need something to be able to bring to the library and work on there for basic word processing (I'm using open office anyway) and web browsing/getting journal articles... Has anyone been using Mint or any other distro on the college network, and if so, are the easy enough to set up on the network? I want to speed up the netbook so was considering migration... full xp is a bit bloated on that little thing!!

Ive got Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook. Used Jonathan's settings and it worked fine!
    Jonathan wrote: »

tcdwifi_thumb.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Should work fine.

Mint is just a fancy version of Ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I'm constantly trying to get Ubuntu to work on the college network, detecting and connecting is fine but I fall down when I have to download Bradford Dissolvable Agent, it never works on my laptop, it looks corrupted or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm constantly trying to get Ubuntu to work on the college network, detecting and connecting is fine but I fall down when I have to download Bradford Dissolvable Agent, it never works on my laptop, it looks corrupted or something.
    I have never been asked to run that Bradford crapware on Linux.

What happens when you run the following commands in the terminal?
    cd Downloads
    chmod +x Bradford_Dissolvable_Agent.bin
    ./Bradford_Dissolvable_Agent.bin

Below are the settings I use for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid.
    TCDwifi1_thumb.pngTCDwifi2_thumb.pngTCDwifi3_thumb.png

Thanks, I'm not in college ATM and I don't have BDA on my laptop but will try that when I get the chance.

I'm confused as to why you didn't have to install it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I'm confused as to why you didn't have to install it.

install the BDA?No installation necessary, even on windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63984003&postcount=3

The download in step 3 might be your problem.

boblong wrote: »
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63984003&postcount=3

The download in step 3 might be your problem.

The process has changed since then. They now ask you to run a binary blob rather than a script file.

Hmmm I finally got around to trying this. The error I get now (with the .bin) is "LSB 3.0 or higher not found. Please install the appropriate LSB packages."

I hadn't heard of LSB before. And I can't seem to find my version.

"sudo apt-get install lsb-base" tells me that it's already the latest version.
    But "sudo apt-get install lsb" prompts me to continue with a 57MB install. I think I'll try that...

I don't understand though, am I really the only one who has as much trouble connecting to TCDwifi with Linux? I guess it's hardware specific. On previous laptops I never had these problems.

churchill_v_for_vctory.jpg

Victory!

Installing the "lsb" package from the repos did the trick and allowed me to execute BDA. Thanks everyone (esp Jonathan)!

(EDIT: Though I've just noticed the click of my laptop mouse is *really* loud and I think I'm p*ssing off the girl sitting across from me...)

• Advertisement

churchill_v_for_vctory.jpg

Victory!

Installing the "lsb" package from the repos did the trick and allowed me to execute BDA. Thanks everyone (esp Jonathan)!

(EDIT: Though I've just noticed the click of my laptop mouse is *really* loud and I think I'm p*ssing off the girl sitting across from me...)
    Did you have to execute BDA or could you not just connect?

Jammyc wrote: »
    Did you have to execute BDA or could you not just connect?
    I had to execute BDA. If there's a way to connect without it, I'm not aware of it.

I had to execute BDA. If there's a way to connect without it, I'm not aware of it.
    Strange, I just did the above without using that at all and I could connect no problem.

I haven't quite figured out what causes some people to get away without registering.

What type of laptop are you using jammyc? Or more specifically, whats the vendor string (first 6 hex letters) of your wlan (usually wl0 or eth1) interface?
    ifconfig | grep "wl0\|eth1"

I haven't quite figured out what causes some people to get away without registering.

What type of laptop are you using jammyc? Or more specifically, whats the vendor string (first 6 hex letters) of your wlan (usually wl0 or eth1) interface?
    ifconfig | grep "wl0\|eth1"

Not sure if this is what youre looking for but I'm on an Acer Aspire One netbook.
    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:5e:64:46:72

Jammyc wrote: »
    Not sure if this is what youre looking for but I'm on an Acer Aspire One netbook.

Hummm. There goes my theory. I thought they may have been whitelisting some devices based on the MAC addresses. Whitelisting MacBooks for example because OSX "don't get viruses".

Hummm. There goes my theory. I thought they may have been whitelisting some devices based on the MAC addresses. Whitelisting MacBooks for example because OSX "don't get viruses".
    By that logic though I'd have thought they wouldn't require BDA at all for Linux or OS X (apparently some people can bypass it, but there's still officially a requirement to install BDA on Linux machines).

Read this a whlie back and couldnt remember where, just popped into my head where it was a few minutes ago.

If this says that no security policies are set for Linux I can't see why anyone running it is being asked to use the remote scan.

Edit: nevermind, thats about preparing to register. (I think)

Advertisement