Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIDO or IKC registration

Options
  • 28-07-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

For a newly-acquired microchipped dog which is already registered with the Irish Kennel Club, is it advisable to transfer the ownership with them or register with FIDO or both?

Having contacted FIDO they claim to have the main database for microchipped dogs and have access to the IKC database. Likewise, the IKC claim to be the main database that vets, animal shelters etc would contact to identify a lost dog.

It costs €15 per organisation. Would it be duplication to register with both?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you got papers (IKC) with your dog then you absol must transfer them into your name with the IKC.

Yes you should also register the microchip into your name too, the whole point of getting a dog microchipped is that it cna be traced back to its owner if found so register the chip as soon as you can with your details.

The papers you have from the breeder will only have the dogs details recorded to the breeder so you must transfer everything into your name.

P.s you arent duplicating anything by registering with both as they are separate organisations. Fido will only have the microchip number and owners details. The IKC registration will have dogs pedigree history, owner details, breeder details and so on. The only reason the microchip number is there is because the have to chip the dogs now to register them with the IKC. So if your dog gets lost it wont be anything to do with the IKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

andreac wrote: »
    If you got papers (IKC) with your dog then you absol must transfer them into your name with the IKC.

Yes you should also register the microchip into your name too, the whole point of getting a dog microchipped is that it cna be traced back to its owner if found so register the chip as soon as you can with your details.

The papers you have from the breeder will only have the dogs details recorded to the breeder so you must transfer everything into your name.

P.s you arent duplicating anything by registering with both as they are separate organisations. Fido will only have the microchip number and owners details. The IKC registration will have dogs pedigree history, owner details, breeder details and so on. The only reason the microchip number is there is because the have to chip the dogs now to register them with the IKC. So if your dog gets lost it wont be anything to do with the IKC.

I've got the IKC certificate - I'm only interested in ensuring I can be identified as the owner but if I just registered with Fido they would search the database and see that there is already a registered owner and would insist on me becoming the new registered owner. The IKC transfer fee is €15.

When I attempted to register with Fido which according to my vet is free of charge, the m/chip number is not a pre paid one so I have to pay €15 for that also.

In summary it's Hobson's choice to update the IKC details and I'm frustrated about having to pay double the amount for what is essentially the same service to me.

To be honest i would ensure i reg with both. Why bother getting a dog thats IKC reg if you arent going to register it to you?

You could have problems down the line if you dont transfer ownership and also if you ever want to breed etc, as only the reg owner with the IKC can reg the litter etc so for sake of €15 i would definately register with both. Also if you were going to show the dog it must be registered in your name.

As i said, the 2 are totally separate and not linked in any way so you would really need to reg with both.

Yorky wrote: »
    In summary it's Hobson's choice to update the IKC details and I'm frustrated about having to pay double the amount for what is essentially the same service to me.[/QUOTE]

Thats the thing, its not the same service, its 2 completely different registrations that have no connection at all and the databases and info are completely different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're only looking for the microchip to reflect your detains in case your dog goes missing then I'd register with Fido. 2 of my dogs have IKC chips but I also registered the details with Fido for €5.
    The reason I did this was that when looking for owner details from the IKC for dogs given into the sanctuary I volunteer for I found the IKC to be very arkward to deal with, they wouldnt give out the details to the rescue and promised to ring the registered owners of the dog 'in the next couple of days'!!!! If it was my dog I'd rather they gave my details to the rescue organisation so they could ring me immediately rather than the IKC promise to get onto me!

Anyway, so basically 2 of my dogs are registered with both IKC and Fido

• Advertisement

If you're only looking for the microchip to reflect your detains in case your dog goes missing then I'd register with Fido. 2 of my dogs have IKC chips but I also registered the details with Fido for €5.
    The reason I did this was that when looking for owner details from the IKC for dogs given into the sanctuary I volunteer for I found the IKC to be very arkward to deal with, they wouldnt give out the details to the rescue and promised to ring the registered owners of the dog 'in the next couple of days'!!!! If it was my dog I'd rather they gave my details to the rescue organisation so they could ring me immediately rather than the IKC promise to get onto me!

Anyway, so basically 2 of my dogs are registered with both IKC and Fido

The microchips wouldnt be IKC ones as such, they would be FIDO or Animark, they just have to be microchipped to register with the IKC if you get me.

The IKC have nothing to do with the chip companies as such and wouldnt be connected in any way really.

I dont think the IKC would be allowed to give out owner/breeder info unless its the registered owner thats enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

They are Animark chips but the IKC owns the Animark database in Ireland now so if your dog is chipped with an Animark chip then the IKC have to give out the details to vets/rescues etc. I didn't mention the Animark bit cos OP seemed totally confused about chips to begin with never mind mentioning a third name!

They are Animark chips but the IKC owns the Animark database in Ireland now so if your dog is chipped with an Animark chip then the IKC have to give out the details to vets/rescues etc. I didn't mention the Animark bit cos OP seemed totally confused about chips to begin with never mind mentioning a third name!

Oh right cool, i get you, lol. I would still be registering with both anyway. Why get a dog with papers if you arent going to register it into your own name so i think the OP should def register it in their own name with both.

Advertisement