Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dog with Phantom pregnancy

Options
  • 28-07-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for advice on my 15 month old Golden Retriever female. She had her first heat at the end of May which lasted 3 weeks.
    Myself and my partner are going to let her have one litter when she is a little older and then get her neutered.
    Two days ago she began showing signs on a phantom pregnancy, getting all of her favourite toys and putting them into her bed, licking and groming them. She is whinning an awful lot and has gone off her food.

She is definitely not pregnant, as she had her booster vaccine two weeks ago and the vet checked for pregnancy. We have a female cat too(older and definitely the boss of the two) and they are fine around each other at the moment.

Now my problem is my extended family are having a big gathering this weekend and my sister has two male adult boxer dogs. The two boys are lovely and very friendly. I am just afraid of how my lady will react around them now. I am not sure as to what to do so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Will she get aggressive with them?
    She is a timid dog around other dogs that she doesnt know too well and with all goldens is very friendly with people. She has only met the boxers once.

I took her for a walk this morning, she was reluctant at first to leave the house but once she got out and had her daily swim she was loving it and enjoyed her walk...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Leave her at home or get your sister to leave the boxers at home
    Get her spayed, you don't need to 'let her have one litter', unless you want to make some money selling puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree unless she is an exeptional example of her breed it may not be a good idea to breed her, they are a common enough breed and you won't make much money from the pups if you do the right thing by fully vaccination, chipping, worming, registering etc. the pups anyway.

If she is timid by nature she may also pass that trait on to the pups, a dog to be bred should have excellent health but also have a perfect nature.
    I'm sure she's very sweet but do consider the negative as well as the posative aspects to breeding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

I cant ask my sister to leave her dogs at home as they have no one to mind them when they go away.
    Looks like I will be going alone and my partner will stay at home with our dog. It would be unfair on my dog and my sisters dogs to have them together

Thanks for all your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Is she crate trained? It would be a shame for your partner to miss out on the weekend, so is there no way you could bring a crate for her to go into if she gets stressed by the other dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

No, unfortunately she isnt crate trained.

I want her to get to know the 2 boxers as she loves playing with a neighbours labrador. It would mean down the line this problem wont be too bad every time we have family gatherings. It's just bad timing at the moment with her.
    She is not crying as bad today and was chasing the cat in the back garden for the last hour!! (never caught her of course)

We do have a campervan so we may stay nearby so that we can both attend the event

• Advertisement
Advertisement