Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loch Clochan

Options
  • 28-07-2010 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Anybody ever fished this place. Was thinking of heading down for a look this weekend, any advice for flies, area to try etc would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Wulff patterns have been good lately. Green Lures/whiskers and olive buzzers are usually good too. If you can get a spot on the north-west bank where the fresh water flows in then you should have some fun, they mostly hang out in that pool there. If not, the last platform on the south-east bank, near the shallows is also a good spot, there are some big ones in the pool to the right. Basically, when you walk in from the car park you are facing north so hopefully you can get your bearings.

Tight Lines. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

Thanks for the info DVD-Lots, am going to head down tomorrow, will let you know how we get on. Site says I get a day ticket at the local Londis, any idea how much.

It's €15 for the day for non-members, early morning from 9am to 11am is usually best or in the evening from about 6pm is good too. Have a good 'un!!!

any luck Gary? Just wondering how its fishing now.....might take a trip soon meself. ;)

Yeah, it was good, the lake itself is nice with good access. The fish were small, best we had was about 2.5lb, a lot in the 1.5lb range. We finished with 47 between two of us which wasn't to bad. Caught mainly on a green nymph I use on Corrib and a size 18 black shuttle cock. There are a s**t load of fish in the lake but they need to get a few better fish in there. Unlike other put and take fisheries you never feel like you might get a monster, having said that a local said a 16lb fish came out this year. It ain't a patch on Laois for size and quality but we had a great day and will def go back, good value to at 15euro.....

• Advertisement

good to hear, there are lots of fish in there and very few over 3lb but for me it is the nearest place to me and as you say, 15 squid for a good days fishing is hard to beat. Lough Aisling near Edenderry is also worth a look, they have a few more big girls in there around the 5/6lb mark and the rates are fairly good too.

Seems to be more and more of these fisheries opening up, pity there is not more publicity about them, only heard about Cloghan a few weeks back and never heard of one in Edenderry. These fisheries can be good crac, especially when the wild trout fisheries go quiet. I heard there is one over near Mulligar that's meant to be very good, no idea where it is though.

Advertisement