Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tethering an iPad to an iPhone on 3 network?

• 28-07-2010 6:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Not, strictly speaking, the right forum for this but seeing as it's very active at the moment and there's bound to be folks here who'll know the answer, I'll stick my query here:

I got a Meteor Myfi with my iPad last week but have barely used it so far. I'm hoping to get an iPhone on 3 if stocks allow in the next few weeks so I'm wondering if I'd be better off just buying the extra data add-on with my 3 contract and tethering the iPad to it when I'm out and about and need net access.

Are there any obvious flaws to this plan? i.e. Will it be fast enough over bluetooth? (guessing the iPhone will only receive wifi, rather than providing it?) I'm basing my theory on the iPhone plan that 3 were offering upgrade customers for the last while, €29/mo for calls, text and 1gb (no tethering), with the option of paying an extra €10/mo for 10gb data with tethering.

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

milltown wrote: »
    Not, strictly speaking, the right forum for this but seeing as it's very active at the moment and there's bound to be folks here who'll know the answer, I'll stick my query here:

I got a Meteor Myfi with my iPad last week but have barely used it so far. I'm hoping to get an iPhone on 3 if stocks allow in the next few weeks so I'm wondering if I'd be better off just buying the extra data add-on with my 3 contract and tethering the iPad to it when I'm out and about and need net access.

Are there any obvious flaws to this plan? i.e. Will it be fast enough over bluetooth? (guessing the iPhone will only receive wifi, rather than providing it?) I'm basing my theory on the iPhone plan that 3 were offering upgrade customers for the last while, €29/mo for calls, text and 1gb (no tethering), with the option of paying an extra €10/mo for 10gb data with tethering.

TIA :)

You can't tether over Bluetooth. Correct me if i'm wrong here people...

iPhone tethering only works with laptops/netbooks etc via its USB cable. Both iPad and iPhone will pick up network from your Mi-fi though.

Advertisement