Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone think B.I.G. borrowed from Snoop Dogg for the "hypnotize" chorus?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Was listening to Lodi Dodi from Doggystyle and this came at 3:28:

Doggy, Doggy, Doggy, can't you see
    Somehow your words just hypnotize me
    And I just love your jazzy ways
    Doggy Dogg, your love is here to stay

It seems so obvious that someone would have mentioned Biggie sampled those bars from Snoop, but no one has? I was watching a B.I.G documentary and they said B.I.G was listening to the hypnotize beat and he came out with the chorus "Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see....."

He got it from Snoop IMO. Its rather obvious actually, and out of boundaries sorta as the East/West thing was happening at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Why attribute it to Snoop Dogg, check out Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick and the original La Di Da Di from the 80's. Although both were born outside America both lived in New York and it would have been this version and not Snoop Dogg's that would have most probably been used by Biggie so this really had noting to do with the East/West crap at the time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Snoop's Lodi Dodi is a cover of Slick Rick's La Di Da Di from The Great Adventures of Slick Rick.

You should listen to that Slick Rick album and hear how much has been used by others, it's pretty much most of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Jay Z done the same for the Rulers Back, is Girls Girls Girls from it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Yeah everybody borrows from slick rick
    "this type of **** happens everyday" on junior mafia players anthem.

Big didnt write hypnotize anyway. Its one of the songs that puffy had written by a porfessional song writer for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Slick Rick is the man. Absolute beast of an album. It's unreal listening to it how many of the lyrics are recognisable from other songs. Children's Story is an incredible song. No better story teller in rap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭eamonhonda

I love slick rick saw him live last year at rock the bells the man is 45 and still was able to put on a great show great to see

ItsNugget wrote: »
    Yeah everybody borrows from slick rick
    "this type of **** happens everyday" on junior mafia players anthem.

Big didnt write hypnotize anyway. Its one of the songs that puffy had written by a porfessional song writer for him.

WHAT??????

Diddy had somebody write for Big, where did u see that? I can't ever imagine that happening. Big didn't even write rhymes he just listened to the track on repeat, smoked weed, and then went into the booth a ripped it. I doubt BIG wud take somebody elses rhymes into the booth with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Jay Ru wrote: »
    Big didn't even write rhymes he just listened to the track on repeat, smoked weed, and then went into the booth a ripped it. I doubt BIG wud take somebody elses rhymes into the booth with him.

LOL :rolleyes:

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    LOL :rolleyes:
    ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the begining Biggie would just go in to the booth and spit a verse that he thought fit the beat, some would be writtens, some off the top. Like with Juicy, it was all written but just kinda vibed on the hook.

But as time went on and into the second album, everything was meticulously planned with a bit of wiggle room for his ad libs.But Puffy was trying to cut that out to try get an album of mature hits as opposed to what was done on Ready To Die.

I think the confusion about people coming in and writing is in relation to the producers coming in and arranging the music better, as in writing the music and hooks but not Bigs lyrics.

• Advertisement

?

Laugh Out Loud

i know what it means numb nuts i was questioning ur use of it. I don't see anything funny bout the statement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

BIG didn't write anything down for Ready To Die, it was all off the head. Even when BIG was ten he would not write down his poems but memorise them- without ever writing anything down.

i know what it means numb nuts i was questioning ur use of it. I don't see anything funny bout the statement!

It's self-explanatory numb nuts. Your comment was funny and it made me laugh.

Some people here would swallow a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

CorkMan wrote: »
    BIG didn't write anything down for Ready To Die, it was all off the head. Even when BIG was ten he would not write down his poems but memorise them- without ever writing anything down.

Don't know how true that is.

According to dj Clark Kent, England biggie used to write his rhymes down on paper till he met Jay-z recording brooklyn's finest.

See below excerpt from an [URL="Interview is here: http://m.xxlmag.com/v/Features/DjClarkKentRemembers/?KSID=ee1bddf8e02b1a59ec6de8a22fc60973"]interview Kent did with XXL[/URL].
    XXLMag.com: How'd you convince Jay to put Big on the track?

DJ Clark Kent: Jay and Dame didn't know that I brought Big to the studio and had him in the car waiting. So I got up like I'm going to the bathroom and bring [Big] back and they look at me like I'm a funny guy. They played the song and Jay said, "You want to get on it?" Big said, "I'll get on it," then Jay goes in the booth and spits a brand new song. Understand what I'm telling you, in like 15 minutes Jay wrote a new song... The song was there, it was perfect already, he meets Big, stands around for a while, let the beat play, goes in the booth, does something totally different, and left the open spaces for Big to fill in.

XXLMag.com: Did Big finish his verses that same day?

DJ Clark Kent: I knew Big and he perfects his bars, so I knew it wasn't going to happen like that and I knew he was going to bug out when he saw my man not using a pen. That was the day Big decided, "I'm not writing anything down. If he's not writing anything, I'm not writing anything down."

XXLMag.com: So before that session Big used to write his rhymes down?

DJ Clark Kent: Yes, sir, absolutely. That's also the day Jay and Big became friends, so it's like, right then and there they became friends. All of a sudden you see them together and interacting with each other. Big laying his verse [for "Brooklyn's Finest"] didn't happen until two months later. So that could have been two months that they were together formulating the verses but Jay's verses were done.

Kent was close to both at the time, so I would take his word for it.

Well I saw a B.I.G documentary where he was recording "Warning" in the studio, and he was rapping into the microphone and the cameraman was going in and out on him and B.I.G was rapping from memory. You could hear B.I.Gs acapella from the cameramans footage in the studio and there was no pen or pad.

In a different documentary a person who knew Biggie well before he blew up said he saw BIG only use paper once, and from then on (this was all before Ready To Die) he didn't use a pen and pad. From "The Murder of Biggie Smalls" book it said when he was 10 he used to memorize poems without writing them down.

This is all a heap ATM, but I know absolutely for certain he did deliver from memory on Ready To Die. Type in "Notorious BIG warning studio" into youtube and you will get the audio of the recording session from the cameramans perspective, though only the audio part is on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

CorkMan wrote: »
    Well I saw a B.I.G documentary where he was recording "Warning" in the studio, and he was rapping into the microphone and the cameraman was going in and out on him and B.I.G was rapping from memory. You could hear B.I.Gs acapella from the cameramans footage in the studio and there was no pen or pad.

In a different documentary a person who knew Biggie well before he blew up said he saw BIG only use paper once, and from then on (this was all before Ready To Die) he didn't use a pen and pad. From "The Murder of Biggie Smalls" book it said when he was 10 he used to memorize poems without writing them down.

This is all a heap ATM, but I know absolutely for certain he did deliver from memory on Ready To Die. Type in "Notorious BIG warning studio" into youtube and you will get the audio of the recording session from the cameramans perspective, though only the audio part is on youtube.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Seeing as I didn't actually know the chap, I'm not going to claim actual knowledge of what he did at the age of 10.

However, DJ Clark Kent did know the chap (in fact, he's credited as discovering him), so I'll run with his word.

Edit - without sounding like a stan, there is a difference between memorizing raps/delivering from memory and what Jay-z does. He's not memorizing things, he's composing it all in his head, on the spot.

If he was going to lie and/or embellish the story, he'd be more likely to do so to make biggie look better.

I mean, since he's died, everybody has been exaggerating his abilities...why not his own DJ!

Jigga does recite from memory though, saw it on an interview with Angie Martinez. He said he could do a song in his head in 20-30 minutes, but the biggest test was recalling from memory. Angie Martinez was shocked :)

I can recall in 50 cents autobiography he said while recovering from the gunshot wounds he had songs in his head, which he didn't write down yet.

Clever dudes.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I think the confusion about people coming in and writing is in relation to the producers coming in and arranging the music better, as in writing the music and hooks but not Bigs lyrics.
    Not what i meant at all. Apparently big wrote very little of hypnotize. Most of it was written by professional writers. Theres a lot of hit singles by rappers that were ghostwritten. Theres a list somewhere online with the actualy credits for different songs ill try find it.

ItsNugget wrote: »
    Not what i meant at all. Apparently big wrote very little of hypnotize. Most of it was written by professional writers. Theres a lot of hit singles by rappers that were ghostwritten. Theres a list somewhere online with the actualy credits for different songs ill try find it.

you'll see (Mad) Skills on the list quite a bit, just didnt realise that Biggie part-took.

• Advertisement

No he wasn't really on it. Most of the songs he wrote were uncredited. Thats why ghostwriter was such a big deal.

Advertisement