Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wines to avoid

Options
  • 28-07-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I bought a bottle of Winding Road, Merlot 2009, tonight and it is easily the most undrinkable bottle of wine i have ever encountered in my life. Honestly gag inducing. How any individual/company could put their name upon a bottle of such diabolical awfulness defies all concept of consumer care, needs and business acumen. A harsh, instant hit of petroleum hate with an aftertaste of venom induced sickness this is a bottle of wine that should be drank only by sadists for only they could wish such pain upon their body.

What else should we be warned about?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Shoelaces wrote: »

Corked wines?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Got a present of blossom hill red. After a few sips it went down the sink. Its the only time i had to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

noby wrote: »
    Corked wines?

Had a cooked wine yesterday, not nice. Brought it back and got another, no probs with replacement.

On topic, I can't think of any of the top of my head that stood out as being really bad.

Mostly, they're horrible due to being corked, cooked, oxidised or not decanted long enough/not at the right temperature.

See here: http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/tastefaulty.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

bennyob wrote: »
    Got a present of blossom hill red. After a few sips it went down the sink. Its the only time i had to do this.

Keep it for cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Heroditas wrote: »
    Keep it for cooking!

I was watching a cookery show a while ago and the cook advised never to use a wine in cooking that you were not willing to drink on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, as alluded to by noby, it sounds like that wine was corked!
    I find that these days wines might be terrible in their blandness or ridiculous fruitiness but are rarely undrinkable - I just wouldn't be bothered drinking them when there are good wines available!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Any of the blended, mass market ones (Blossom Hill, Jacobs Creek, Gallo etc) they're the Budweiser/Coors/Heineken of the wine world, blandified to appeal to the largest number of people, also anything with Liebfraumilch wrote on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Any of the blended, mass market ones (Blossom Hill, Jacobs Creek, Gallo etc) they're the Budweiser/Coors/Heineken of the wine world, blandified to appeal to the largest number of people, also anything with Liebfraumilch wrote on it!
    While i would agree with you that the entry level wines of the brands mentioned above are to be avoided, some of the Blossom Hill Winemakers Collection varietals are actually very drinkable. As are the Jacobs Creek Reserve and Sparkling range.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shoefloozy

I agree with 'grenache' in that some of the more typical eye level shelf wines are reasonably drinkable, ie Jacobs creek sparkling pinot noir. I buy this in bulk and it never fails to go down a hit with all my friends. It sounds to me like 'shoelace's' red wine had been corked. If this ever happens just bring it back to where u bought it for replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Even if it wasn't corked/oxidised, bring it back and complain. Ask for a full refund or a replacement and you should get it no problem. If more people do this, maybe we'll see less crap on the shelves. Too many businesses out there dressing up any owl thing in a pretty label. It's all about the first time buy, they're not concerned with repeat purchases because they'll just put a different pretty label on the next grog they bring to market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JIZ

bennyob wrote: »
    I was watching a cookery show a while ago and the cook advised never to use a wine in cooking that you were not willing to drink on its own.

agreed, never use poor wine for cooking

irish_goat wrote: »
    21.jpg

This wine and Blue Nun, Libremich (Excuse Spelling) got this country drinking wine...but agreed i hate this S**t .

Shoelaces wrote: »
    I bought a bottle of Winding Road, Merlot 2009, tonight and it is easily the most undrinkable bottle of wine i have ever encountered in my life. Honestly gag inducing. How any individual/company could put their name upon a bottle of such diabolical awfulness defies all concept of consumer care, needs and business acumen. A harsh, instant hit of petroleum hate with an aftertaste of venom induced sickness this is a bottle of wine that should be drank only by sadists for only they could wish such pain upon their body.

Have Drank this and it was not bad at all, You got a faulty wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

JIZ wrote: »
    Have Drank this and it was not bad at all, You got a faulty wine.

yep gotta agree, my local centra used to sell this for €6 a bottle and it was nicer than a lot of more expensive Merlot's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

McGuigans anything - horrible sweet muck!

sudzs wrote: »
    McGuigans anything - horrible sweet muck!
    Agreed...dirt

Advertisement