Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance - SE Asia and Australia

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey,

I'm travelling with my girlfriend for 3 months around Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam this September and then flying down to Australia for the year. Just wondering if anyone has a good idea about travel insurance?

I have heard good things about worldnomads.com but to be honest I really haven't got a clue. I also don't know anything about the healthcare system in Australia - will it be extremely important to have insurance for the whole trip or more for SE Asia? I got a quote in the region of €700 for the 15 months. Is this the sort of price I can expect for comprehensive medical/travel insurance or can I get a better deal?

Sorry I haven't used boards much before so this is probably in the completely wrong place. Apologies for that. Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

I'd also like some info on this.. I'm thinking I'd like to get health insurance and forget about all the addons of travel insurance.
    Good/Bad idea?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

As an Irish citizen your basic health care is taken care of if you are travelling to Oz by virtue of a reciprocal health care agreement between the two govts so you are basically entitled to free hospital treatment in a public hospital and access to subsidised meds. doesn't cover dentists etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Stara

I generally get a yearly insurance package with the best option at max cover and reasonable excesses (the amount you have to pay first before the insurance will pay out) and go for a worldwide policy. Generally for myself and my son it's been about €145 for the year and has a large cover for hospital and third party. There is no company at the moment who will cover countries who are in political turmoil so make sure to check this before you go into the country. I'm looking at 123.ie at the moment and they seem to have good prices and cover. One thing to make sure of is that you have cover no matter what. You may never need it but it'll make all the difference if you do. Safe travel ;)

Advertisement