Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

What should be the max height difference between mare and stallion?

14.2 hands mare to a ? hands stallion.

Any ideas???:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

A hand in difference between the two would be as far as I would go. I would use two horses of more or less the same type to reduce of chance of ending up with something fugly looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

What are you hoping to breed?

If you're hoping to breed, for example, a prospect showjumping pony, then I'd go for a similar height stallion as it may be difficult to sell if it makes 15hh or a little over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saphire1979

Alibear wrote: »
    What are you hoping to breed?

If you're hoping to breed, for example, a prospect showjumping pony, then I'd go for a similar height stallion as it may be difficult to sell if it makes 15hh or a little over.

Showjumping but one with a little extra height than a 14.2, maybe 15.1 or 15.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I would have a tendency to go with a 15.2 stallion if you're looking for a foal of around the same height. As the mare is 14.2, the foal should be in between those two heights, depending. I wouldn't go over the 15.2 stallion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

It depends on a number of things:
    - what you want the outcome to be
    - the build of the mare - does she have room for a big foal?
    - what size foals she has thrown before she has foaled before
    - what size foals the stallion throws

They key consideration in all of this is that the foal isnt bigger than what the mare can deliver comfortably.

If you want something broadly similar in size to her, then go for a stallion fairly similar in size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement