Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active holiday/courses?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any sort of adventure like holiday that I could go on. Not outside Europe.

I was hoping maybe sailing possibly? But I don't really have much experience as a sailor just a basic course. Traveling in a boat for a month or two and learning how to sail would be amazing.Or a three week rock-climbing course? Possibly kayaking or surfing? It could be in Ireland or abroad.

I've been working so I have some money saved up to do something.
    If anyone has any ideas or knows any places I would be really grateful if you dropped me a line.

I'm twenty-one so i know it's more difficult to find courses and the like.
    I just really don't want to waste anymore time before college starts again!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Zita113 wrote: »
    Hey!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any sort of adventure like holiday that I could go on. Not outside Europe.

I was hoping maybe sailing possibly? But I don't really have much experience as a sailor just a basic course. Traveling in a boat for a month or two and learning how to sail would be amazing.Or a three week rock-climbing course? Possibly kayaking or surfing? It could be in Ireland or abroad.

I've been working so I have some money saved up to do something.
    If anyone has any ideas or knows any places I would be really grateful if you dropped me a line.

I'm twenty-one so i know it's more difficult to find courses and the like.
    I just really don't want to waste anymore time before college starts again!
    Thanks!

I was talking to someone recently who had done a sailing holiday in Menorca. It was with this company: http://www.minorcasailing.co.uk/ and I think she was starting from scratch. She thought it was brilliant. There is also a company called SunSail that do a watersports holiday club in the Mediterranean where you can learn to sail. I've never been, but I think people usually do these kind of holidays for just a week or two, but maybe it's possible to extend them for longer.

There are similar courses in Ireland. Glenan's are a well known company. And Carlingford Sailing School do some courses. There are different courses depending on what kind of boats you'd like to start in etc. The people on the Sailing forum here gave me plenty of advice before I started.

I think learning to sail abroad is a great idea - it's so much nicer to be out in your shorts rather than a wetsuit! Also, if you did spend 4 weeks sailing every day, you would learn a huge amount - I started sailing last year and I couldn't get out very often but still made steady progress.

I'm still only really a beginner myself, but if you've no-one better to ask, I'm happy enough to try answer any other questions!

Advertisement