Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a book pour moi?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Im a 24 year old lad looking for something in the sci fi / fantasy / adventure genre but nothing too off the wall (ie not Terry Pratchett). I've read all the Dan Browne books, Tom Clancy and a few of the Michael Connolly ones and I really want something abit different now. Also like alot of the Stephen King stuff

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

If you're looking to get into Sci Fi then I highly recommend Isaac Asimov. Pick up one of his collections of short stories (One of many), 'I,Robot'.

Also, read anything whatsoever ever written by Phillip K.Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

howyaluv wrote: »
    looking for something in the sci fi / fantasy / adventure genre but nothing too off the wall (ie not Terry Pratchett).

Frank Herberts DUNE series is top notch Sci/Fi.

David Gemmell and Raymond E Feist have some great Fantasy books ,gemmell in particular is very easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

+1 on Dune, that book isnt just genius in the way the SciFi world is built but is also extremely action packed and exciting, couldnt recommend it enough.

EDIT: Just had to say, Paddy Samurai, fantastic location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 selchie

Roger Zelazny's Amber series is excellent! Super imaginative and the characters are really well written. Have you read any Neil Gaiman? He seems to be the flavor of the month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Both Asimov's "Foundation" and Herbert's "Dune" series are great and would give you hours reading but if I'm to stray a bit less mainstream get for example "The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction". It contains several (25) short stories from authors that you're unlikely to have read before and give you a wide set of stories and places to expand from. Fantasy you have for example Joe Abercrombie's series which is a nasty piece of people in it, Robert Buettner's Orphan series (SciFi) or of course my favorite author Richard Morgan (Scifi or Fantasy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

I would highly recommend anything from 'the culture' series of books from Iain M. Banks. I have also just finished reading 'Perdido Street Station' by China Meiville, which I thought was fantastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think it's time you met Arthur C. Clarke.

Childhood's End, or Rendezvous with Rama, or maybe just one of his short story collections to get you started. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Denerick wrote: »
    If you're looking to get into Sci Fi then I highly recommend Isaac Asimov. Pick up one of his collections of short stories (One of many), 'I,Robot'.

Also, read anything whatsoever ever written by Phillip K.Dick.

Just recently read A Scanner Darkly and would defo recommend so +1 for this.

I'd also recommend Lullaby by Chuck Palahnuik. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

Can anyone recommend a book pour moi?

"Le Bumper Book of Franglais", due to be published next month?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bumper-Book-Franglais-Miles-Kington/dp/1906964394/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281018690&sr=1-4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Joe Haldermans Forever war is fantastic and is currently being adapted for the big screen by Ridley Scott .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

An excellent fantasy novel is Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke :)

It's written in the style of Charles Dickens, set in England. It's a long book but a great book. Well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

I'd recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series or series by Raymond Feist or George RR Martin.

That's presuming that you've already read the bible of them all, Lord of the Rings, if not then that should be your first point of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kevlyn20

Read Stephen King's The Dome lately and enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall. It's a fun read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? A lot more fantasy than his usual horror, many consider them to be his best works (the first 4 or 5 of the 7 anyway). He references these books in a lot of his other novels, so I find you enjoy his other work more if you've read the DT series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

+1 for the DT series. very good fantasy books. one very good book linked to it in a

i'd also recommend Ringworld by Larry Niven. really good sci-fi book though it's a bit hard to get a copy in shops. only place i've seen it is in Charlie Byrne's in Galway city.

Advertisement