Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt in Fiat 1200 Punto. How much?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Sister needs a timing belt done on 2002 1200 Fiat Punto

What should she be expected to pay? Main dealer / independent

(Kit, Waterpump, labour etc.)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Sister needs a timing belt done on 2002 1200 Fiat Punto

What should she be expected to pay? Main dealer / independent

(Kit, Waterpump, labour etc.)

Cheers.
    Assuming it is the common 8Valve engine, labour shoud be no more than €100. The Punto is perhaps the easiest car out there to swap the TB. Parts should be around the same if you opt to change the water pump.

Also the 8V FIRE engine in the Punto is a non-interference one, therefore if the belt breaks, you don't smash the valves! You replace the belt and you are back in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭deadduck

shamwari wrote: »

Also the 8V FIRE engine in the Punto is a non-interference one, therefore if the belt breaks, you don't smash the valves! You replace the belt and you are back in business!

sorry to thread-crash, but just wanted to ask shamwari, is this also true of the 8v FIRE in the new grande punto (2006)

deadduck wrote: »
    sorry to thread-crash, but just wanted to ask shamwari, is this also true of the 8v FIRE in the new grande punto (2006)

Yes it is a variant of the 8V Fire, but produces slightly more power than that in the Punto. It should also be a non-interference engine too.

thanks!

actually, on another thing shamwari, how familiar are you with the FIRE engine? need some advice on removing the starter motor to inspect it for damage

• Advertisement

I know them quite well! Despite the odd head gasket failure, I think they're a very good solid little engine.

What exactly is the problem with yours? And what car is it in?

The starter seems to be spinning, but only starts the engine sometimes, i think the solenoid could be sticking (usually starts after 2 or 3 goes). It's the 8v FIRE engine in an '06 grande punto.

thanks for getting back so quick

The starter seems to be spinning, but only starts the engine sometimes, i think the solenoid could be sticking (usually starts after 2 or 3 goes). It's the 8v FIRE engine in an '06 grande punto.

thanks for getting back so quick

Ok my comments above re the timing belt apply to the 1.2 engine, I don't know if the 1.4 is interference or not, as I'm not familair with it.

If the solenoid were faulty, you wouldn't have a spinning noise at all - maybe just a clunk when you turn the key.

I have seen similar on the punto where the starter just spins, but it's pinion intermittently fails to engage with the flywheel. The cause was the starter's pinion shaft, which was caked with dust from the clutch. Once the starter was removed, the pinion can be washed with petrol on a paint brush to clean it (don't use oil or grease) and put back in. Again I'm not familar with the 1.4 and I can't give you guidance on removing it. However I have a manual for the 1.2 from the Punto, and I'll extract the relevent bits from it and post here (it might be a similar starter).

Also, are you trying to get at the starter from the top or underneath? If I'm right, getting at it from the top might need removal of the air filter and battery tray.

excellent, thanks for that, that'll be the first thing I check (and i'll definitely use petrol!!). we tried getting at it from the top, and also from the bottom a bit, but had no joy.

i'd appreciate any pointers you have from the manual, thanks very much

excellent, thanks for that, that'll be the first thing I check (and i'll definitely use petrol!!). we tried getting at it from the top, and also from the bottom a bit, but had no joy.

i'd appreciate any pointers you have from the manual, thanks very much

Ok, am still searching for the workshop manual (promise!). In the meantime, I found this item on the web which details replacement of the starter on an 8V 1.2 Punto. It may well be the case that this set up is pretty close to that on the Grande 1.4

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_a_starter_motor_on_a_fiat_punto

Note that the writer of the above tried to perform the task with the battery in situ. I recommend disconnecting and removing if from the car, along with the battery tray if necessary. 2 x 13mm bolts, one accessed from above and the other from below the car. Also the writer had the car up on ramps.

• Advertisement

PM sent!

Advertisement