Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary AA membership on campervan?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We're going off in my father's campervan for a week in August. Does anyone here know is it possible to get AA cover or something similar for a campervan for a week? Or is it possible to transfer your normal car cover over to a campervan for that time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Not an AA member anymore but seem to remember that it was the individual that was covered rather than the vehicle.
    I've a memory of an AA advertising campaign boasting that you only needed to be a passenger in a car to have that car covered in the event of a breakdown.
    May have changed since but ought to be worth ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i have been a member of AA for years but did not renew this years for 2 reasons first is that most if not all car insures provide brake down cover as part of your cover so point in paying twice and secondly and more important to us here they will not cover motorhomes over a certain weight so most vans are not covered,think stewards have brake down cover as part as their cover not sure if it offers cover over seas,im sure some one fill us in

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

Stuarts Dolmen etc cover breakdown overseas and at home as part of your insurance package. The AA did do a personal membership a couple of years ago but I do not know if they still do it.
    What I do know is that the full breakdown cover for Ireland and England is over €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

My wife's personal AA membership covered our camper (Ducato) breakdown 2 years ago - no problems or questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

NCG wrote: »
    My wife's personal AA membership covered our camper (Ducato) breakdown 2 years ago - no problems or questions asked.

I do know that the have restrictions as regards the width and weight and this is from an operational point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

2yung2adm wrote: »
    I do know that the have restrictions as regards the width and weight and this is from an operational point of view.

yes if they have to tow you...........you might be too heavy....best to ring and ask they wont bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

We weren't asked and were towed with no problems, but it was a mid-size camper. I suppose if it was huge there might have been problems. Also, it was a contracted local recovery company.

Advertisement